Fabbed F-150 carputer stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabbed F-150 carputer stuff

I figured some of the stuff I used in my install might help out some other people if I shared the how to stuff, or where to find which parts stuff.

Here's an Expedition console where I added a single DIN radio and HVAC controls.

The big pocket in front of the HVAC stuff was shortened to allow room for the panel. I still haven't finished the black portion of the panel since I can't figure out how to do it and make it look nice. I may just clean up the area, smooth it with some 1000 grit and put a thin red pin stripe around it.

Here's the dash piece. It houses an 8" Lilliput, two USB ports, and a Panasonic slot load DVD-RW drive. I was going to add A/V inputs to the right of the DVD drive, but the Lilliput plugs blocked access to it from the back and I couldn't find any 90 cables.

Any questions or criticisms? Work process can be found here, and I should have updated pics of it all in the truck within the week.
    In the works...
    Dell GX240 SFF
    P4 1.8GHz, 256 RAM, 160GB HDD
    8" Lilliput (fab work completed - F-150)

My worklog
    Misc crap FS - OLD laptop (w/ adapters) | Sony memory | USB key | Printer Dock, etc

That's some smooth fab work, my friend.
    Slap some vinyl dye on the bezel of the optical drive to have it match the rest of the console, and you're golden.

I'm impressed.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I was originally going to paint the bezel on there, but won't that void my warranty on it? Those slot drives aren't cheap to replace.

Thanks for the compliments!
      In the works...
      Dell GX240 SFF

My worklog
      Misc crap FS - OLD laptop (w/ adapters) | Sony memory | USB key | Printer Dock, etc

Comment

what did you use that you were refering to as "Plastic stuff" I need to get ahold of something similar.
        1997 Saturn SL2 Car PC Status [..........] 0% Complete (Removed)
        1999 Honda Accord Car PC Status [::::::::..] 80% Complete (Setting up software before final install)

Comment

Basically you just take ABS shavings and add a little MEK or Acetone to it. Use a condiment squeeze bottle to mix it in, wear a respirator while you do this, and wear nitrile gloves. Better safe than sorry. You add about half a bottle of shavings, then add around 1/4 cup of MEK/Acetone. Mix it up, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then take off the lid and check it. If its too runny, add more ABS shavings. If its too thick, add a little more MEK/Acetone.

For my ABS shavings I just used a big drill bit in a drill press, and drilled a bunch of holes in a cracked LS1 airlid that a buddy had laying around.
          In the works...
          Dell GX240 SFF

My worklog

Comment

Woa, this sounds like some pretty cool stuff, too bad none of the pics can be seen anymore

Comment

Working...
            X