01 Dakota Dash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 Dakota Dash

Greetings! I've been lurking on here for a while, I have searched this and other boards in depth, but I have not found anything finished with a Dakota or Durango dash.

I picked up this dash off of ebay, and, while I am planning the rest of the project I have started relocating the A/C controls.

The problem is, I have a large flat area to work with, and I don't want the install to look ghetto.

I thought I knew what I wanted at first - To panel mount the LCD, like you would panel mount any display in a wall. Then I was trying to figure out what to fill in the rest of the area with. I went to trade school and am a trained machinist, so an aluminum plate was the obvious choice. I grabbed some scrap, placed it behind the dash and MAN was it bad looking. There is no aluminum accents anywhere else in the truck, so I have to go darker.

This is a mock-up of what I have in mind. I am unsure as to how to mount the LCD. I'm afraid a surface mount will look bad. If I do a recessed mount, I then have to fabricate my own panel, and there is a lot of flat surface area to show imperfections. If I go the surface mount route. I will use a black carbon fiber structural panel.

Complicating matters, if you notice the texture of the surrounding dash, it is almost impossible to reproduce, which I have to do along the cut to make it look like it is one long bevel.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Also if anyone has any pics of a finished dakota/durango dash, I would be very greatful.

--Jay

I am starting an 03 Durango. I am putting the monitor down by the cup holders. I am building a setup that will go around the monitor, but leave the back open for ventalation. I also want it to look like it was in there when I bought it from the dealer. Due to the size of the dash piece, it was just too much work for me and a chance of messing all that nice work up when putting the dash back in (like stress cracks). On my 2003 Matrix it was easy to take the radio surround out and fix anything while testing, just too much work on the Durango. Yes I know it is not in the best viewing area, but it helps keep it out of sunlight and eliminates a lot of glare issues I had with my indash project.
    2003 Durango Install
    2003 Matrix Install
    2004 Escalade Install

Comment

I decided I really wanted this in dash because I am elminating the head unit altogether. I had contemplated going down low near the cupholders, but its only a regular cab and if I do that I lose any chance of squeezing a 3rd person in the truck. As for the work cracking when the dash goes back in, I am going to have everything securly mounted ,and the dash is just going to sit flush on top of everything, like the factory radio and A/C brackets. In case you didn't already know, the A/C controls are all electronic, so that is a plus if you ever get the urge to relocate them.

--Jay

Comment

Originally posted by jpx7777
        I decided I really wanted this in dash because I am elminating the head unit altogether. I had contemplated going down low near the cupholders, but its only a regular cab and if I do that I lose any chance of squeezing a 3rd person in the truck. As for the work cracking when the dash goes back in, I am going to have everything securly mounted ,and the dash is just going to sit flush on top of everything, like the factory radio and A/C brackets. In case you didn't already know, the A/C controls are all electronic, so that is a plus if you ever get the urge to relocate them.

--Jay
        If you are emiminating the radiom then yes it is good to put the screen there, you should go for an 8" since you are willing to move the heater controls. Good point on the possible 3rd passenger, since I have a Durango I have the console there, not an extra seat.

I did know they are electronic, I just did not want to lengthen the wires, and have to build a mount somewhere else for them.

I missed the part about you not bonding everyhting into the dash, I thought you were going to bond it in to make it look factory.
        2003 Durango Install
        2003 Matrix Install
        2004 Escalade Install

Comment

I do want it to look factory. If you pull off the dash, the radio and the A/C controls are still attached to the dash supports. I am hoping to screw the new piece into the existing mounting points, and then snap the dash back on top of the components just like OEM, only it will be one piece behind the dash, not two. I was thinking about the 8", thanks for the suggestions. BTW there are some cheap Durango dash pieces on ebay right now, in case you were interested.

Comment

I was thinking about the 8", thanks for the suggestions.
            I had a 7" in my Matrix (biggest I could go in the stock location) and it was not bad, I just wish it was bigger so you can view it a little easier. So now I am going with an 8" since I have the room for it.

BTW there are some cheap Durango dash pieces on ebay right now, in case you were interested.
            Yea, I have seen them, in fact I think your first pic in the post is from an ebay auction. Check out my 03 Durango install in my sig, I just posted 2 new pics to show what I am going to do. Good luck with yours, I will keep my eye out to see how well it is going for you.
            2003 Durango Install
            2003 Matrix Install
            2004 Escalade Install

Comment

Working...
            X