8" screen in 98 altima

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8" screen in 98 altima

The screen I am wanting to install would require alot of chopping of the dash peice. Things would be alot easier if there is a way for me to install it without the casing on the monitor. I did alot of searching and couldn't find anything very helpful. My peice curves in as you near the bottom and gets thinner on the sides. The bottom would have to be cut off in order to fit a 8 inch screen with the casing on. Here is a pic of the bezel. Note how the sides get more narrow towards the bottom. This does not allow for the width of the screen unless i cut all the way through it which would remove the bottom.

the screen
    http://www.digitalww.com/VGA_TM_810VGT.htm
    Attached Files

i was fooling around with mine again last night. It seems the best way for us to accomidate is to cut off the bottom button panel of the 8" and relocate the IR. Doing it this way still leaves froom for a Head unit right about where the cig lighter used to be. You will have to remove that bar in the middle. I'm gonna start hacking my new piece again tonight. Hopefully i'll be able to fit it all in this time without having to split the bottom curvature completely off. You will also have to dremel alot of the interior piece the bezel slides into. The case for the 8" fits where some of the bezels brackets go. i'll try to take pics of my progess tonight.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Cool. Are you leaving the case on the screen or taking it off? Taking the case off of the screen would make things alot easier in my opinion.

Comment

if you take the case off the screen the screen is too narrow. there's about a 1/4" gap you have to be concerned with. Then of course you have to worry about a custom bracket thats gonna hold all that together everytime you hit a speedbump. I'm waiting on a new front case from armen... then its back to the grind with bondo work

Comment

ok here's some pics of what i've got. I am attempting to cut the lilli case instead of most of the bezel. This method MIGHT work but again gotta make some brackets to secure the screen. I also took a pic of what i had to hack up to get the back of the lilli to fit.
          Attached Files

Comment

oh yea.. and i'm gettin rid of the buttons i just took those shots to show you how far down ur head unit will have to be if you decide to keep them. you pretty much are going to have to cut the whole bottom piece off then re-mold it in.

Comment

You think I'd have to cut anything out of the car itself if i mold screen on the bottom of the bezel and kept a headunit in the top?

Comment

the screen wont fit the bottom of the bezel. The screen is about a 1/2" thinner than the WIDEST (top) part of the bezel. Plus You wont be able to see the screen with the shift stick up so high.

Comment

What if I go with a 7 inch? I checked and I would be fine as far as viewing angle goes. I think I would be fine if I removed the casing on the 8 inch, too.

Comment

i had a 7 inch and honestly you dont have to cut anything with it. You can just epoxy it to the back of the bezel in the double din slot then move ur radio down to where ur cig lighter is. Cut the cig lighter off the black piece and there ya go. You dont need a cig lighter there you got one in the armrest anyway lol

Comment

Little progess

Ok here's what i did. first pic is the screen bezel after hacking the buttons off. Second shows you how i cut the bezel in the car. Lastly is the final product epoxied and ready for prep-sanding.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice job. I thought about just hooking the face plate up to the bezel and having it run to the head unit under my seat or something like that. Dunno how easy relocating the headunit to under my seat is. Maybe in my glove compartment. I just don't wanna hack the car up unless the peice I hack up is small and replaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                          i had a 7 inch and honestly you dont have to cut anything with it. You can just epoxy it to the back of the bezel in the double din slot then move ur radio down to where ur cig lighter is. Cut the cig lighter off the black piece and there ya go. You dont need a cig lighter there you got one in the armrest anyway lol
                          I think the cig lighter in armrest was only in the 01 model. I am not too sure where I would put one.

Comment

another pic

I'm at the point where this is gonna turn out really sweet or its gonna be a disaster lol. You dont realize how big the 8" is til you get it in the car.
                            Attached Files

Comment

finished the bezel!

not PERFECT but i'm satisfied with it. Plus the parts that need more work will be behind the radio shroud. I'm so glad i got this done. and in only 2 days this time!!!! Now comes relocating the IR eye and gettin the monitor back in the case. Still a ways to go i guess lol.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X