Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to bond an ABS sheet to an aluminum sheet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to bond an ABS sheet to an aluminum sheet?

I'm starting the fabrication of a custom frame for my headunit and MTSVO-SC retractable screen. It seems like the hardest part is going to be mounting the burlwood trim ABS sheet onto the metal frame which will house the headunit and screen. Is there a way to permanently bond a sheet of ABS plastic to a sheet of aluminum (or steel) and not have it come apart from changes in temperature or driving vibration? I could always use a set of countersunk screws, I suppose, but my first choice would be to have it appear completely seamless, with no screws on the visible surface. Any ideas out there for cementing ABS to metal?

'01
    Hang on while I defragment my car...

the Acura ITX project
    the Acura ITX skin for RoadRunner
    project progress: 99%

I'm kind of bias to fiberglass resin. I'm kind of fuzzy on your application, but believe it or not, i've seen silicone make an amazing hold onto aluminum, and it held in the outdoors for going on three years. Just a thought.

Comment

there are adheasives that are used on cars that will work

Comment

PL Premium construction adhesive, comes in a caulk gun tube and maybe/possibly and squeeze tube. the shiite sticks to everything. If one of the two surfaces aren't porous it'll take a while to dry/cure. There's also some two part auto body glues that are incredible, called Duramix.. look it up.
        homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Originally posted by furball69
          PL Premium construction adhesive, comes in a caulk gun tube and maybe/possibly and squeeze tube. the shiite sticks to everything. If one of the two surfaces aren't porous it'll take a while to dry/cure. There's also some two part auto body glues that are incredible, called Duramix.. look it up.
          I concure !!!!!!!!!!!! Construction adhesive does stick anything to anything !!! Period. You could also try silicone if you need flexibility since it dried to a flexible rubbery conpound. 86 the fiberglass resin.....it will not hold on to the plastic of metal !!
          http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/856246

Please visit my new site http://www.Gigabitcustoms.com

My worklog http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52720

Comment

lately I've been using crazy glue for just about everything . About a month ago I glued a piece of aluminum to the front of my DVD player draw. I was pulling on it and pushing it, and it's on there pretty firm..I'd give it a try.
            Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
            macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
            14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
            Completly custom computer case

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky388
              lately I've been using crazy glue for just about everything . About a month ago I glued a piece of aluminum to the front of my DVD player draw. I was pulling on it and pushing it, and it's on there pretty firm..I'd give it a try.
              a few months ago i temporarily built my enclosure for my screen with crazy glue and abs cement. i took it out yesterday to rebuild it. since it was baking in the sun, the pieces practically peeled apart.

Comment

I've been quite impressed with JB weld. Just used it to glue my aluminium screen bezel together after trying (and failing) to soldering it. JB weld seems to stick to anything quite well.
                Old Systems retired due to new car
                New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Liquid Nails

i work for the company that makes liquid nails (ICI) we dont make it at our factory but i have used this particular product!

http://www.liquidnails.com/ViewProdu...o?productId=48

you can find it at your local home improvment store (we deal to home depot mainly though)

i used it on a plackard (the number of our apartment) that i wanted to lock to the door since it had fell off after the double sided tape ripped off the paint, it was bare wood meeting plastic. nonetheless it is stuck forever.... i tried to pull it off using a butterknife only to bend the knife (and it wasnt a thin one either)

careful with the stuff (i prefer the non clear as i have noticed it to be slightly stronger) probably the different base used, but both are high strength and would last forever...

*******DONT USE THIS STUFF IF YOUR NOT SHURE YOU WANT IT TO BE PERMINENT*******
                  1999 Chrysler 300M
                  Currently: Several Additions Being Made (My Main Vehicle)
                  1984 Chevrolet Corvette
                  Currently: Garaged N> Transmission Work
                  1974 Toyota Land Cruiser
                  Currently: Runs Good (Chevy Engine,Tranny,Transfercase) N> Body -Its Been Rolled-

Comment

If you'd ask a cabinetmaker this question he'd probably tell you contact cement. That's what they use to bond aborite sheets to wooden countertops.
                    homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Yeah I eventually ended up making the faceplate assembly out of furniture-grade plywood because getting an accurate bend in the metal sheet I was using proved to be impossible using only hand tools and a vice. I bonded the ABS woodgrain trim onto the plywood using contact cement after my dad recommended it. That stuff is rock solid. Now I just need to sand down the edges of the ABS to get a seamless fit in the dashboard and I'll be nearly done.

'01
                      Hang on while I defragment my car...

the Acura ITX project
                      the Acura ITX skin for RoadRunner
                      project progress: 99%

Comment

Working...
                      X