Liquid Hardener Able To Be HomeMade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Hardener Able To Be HomeMade?

Ok, I just bought out Autozone the other day of all thier Liquid hardener and I barely used one bottle, went to do some more fabricating and the bottle was empty. went to grab the others and they were all empty.. I mean dry empty. I think that the weather had something to do with it. Cause I had a bowl of water on the table outside that I was using to clean peices up with and its almost dry!

Anyone know what i could do to make liquid hardener for Fiberglass resin?
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
    ABIT NF-M2 nView | AMD Athlon64 FX62 Windsor | nVidia GeForce 6150 | Realtek ALC883 7.1DTS | Vista x64
    RF Power T162S | RF Power T162S | 2x RF Power T212D2 | RF Power T8004 | RF Power T20001bd | RF 3SIXTY.2

you mean MEKP? Otherwise known as: Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide

no

try other stores other than autozone. Walmart will have it too. As well as actual autobody stores.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

you could buy a can of MEK and then add peroxide... lol.
      1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
      Pictures
      Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

wow - that's desperate...lol
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz
          you could buy a can of MEK and then add peroxide... lol.
          id like to add that this is probably a REALLY REALLY bad idea.

go find some at another store.
          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
          Pictures
          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

if you had a chemistry set I guess you could do it...lol

even then, chances are you wouldn't get the mixture correct...
            Jan Bennett

Comment

MEKP is NOT made by adding hydrogen peroxide and MEK. Adding MEK to hydrogen peroxide might be a very, very, very bad idea. Then again, it might not do anything at all.

Most organics do not do well with strong oxidizers and hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer, but thankfully, it is only available easily as a 3% aqueous solution in water.

One further chemistry safety note. MEKP will blind you immediately if you get it in your eyes.

PT
              (retired environmental safety & health engineer with a degree in chemistry)
              Watch out, I have a soldering iron and a ham radio license (it's worse, it's an extra class license too!) and am not afraid to use them!

Comment

hehe

nice!
                Jan Bennett

Comment

MEKP is extremely bad for you. You should avoid breathing it and getting it on your skin.

Comment

that was informative....lol
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                      good to know
                      NO ****! I did not know that and holy crap am I ever wearing safety goggles now ! lmao

Well I resin'd my hatch... to fill the holes... without MEKP and it took a total of 5 days to dry fully hard.. pushing on it flex's the metal its stuck too, so I think its good... now I just need to buy some more liquid hardener.
                      1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
                      ABIT NF-M2 nView | AMD Athlon64 FX62 Windsor | nVidia GeForce 6150 | Realtek ALC883 7.1DTS | Vista x64
                      RF Power T162S | RF Power T162S | 2x RF Power T212D2 | RF Power T8004 | RF Power T20001bd | RF 3SIXTY.2

Comment

If you didn't use hardener (MEKP), the resin would never dry hard.

Comment

oxygen is a catalyst....but it's an EXTREMELY slow catalyst...

why you would ever go that route is WAYYYYY beyond me though....lol
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                          X