No announcement yet.

MKIV gti help! (7" screen + head unit)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV gti help! (7" screen + head unit)

hey guys, been lurking around your forum but finally need some help -- its not a carputer but you guys seem to work with head units and flush dashes enough to help..
    heres the deal:

i need a 7" monitor + a single din head unit to be flush installed into my mkIV dash. the problem is that i dont think it'll all fit properly with my AC controls and my cupholder there.. its not a climatronic so i can't move it around, but i am willing to sacrafice the cupholders as i dont use them anyways.

i really really really want to keep the cutting and fabrication to a minimum but here is what my dash looks like (i stole this picture from someone here, sorry)

so you can basically see how much room i'll be working with. (head unit double din then AC controls and a weird slot that doesn't do aynthing at the bottom)

ultimately i'd like it like this, but dont see how i'd fit a headunit anywhere in this:

the screen in question:

head unit

i was considering mounting the head unit somehwere else but i think it might be too inconveneient so i probably won't be doing that... i dunno maybe i'll skip the dvd screen =(
    any bright ideas? thanks..

it's possible

and yes, you can move your controlls, but not by much...like an inch or so at MOST.

check out my web page with install pictures to get some ideas for your dash.

http://www.mj-garage.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=15

Short of actually taking measurements, no way to be certain.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Why not get a single DIN HU and a fold-out single DIN LCD? Are you going to be hooking the LCD up to a computer at all? I have seen some people do HU mounts above the windshield, but I'm not sure how possible this is in a VW. What about the glovebox? Any room in there for the HU? Unless you keep the HU in the dash, or on the side of the center consol, it will be out of reach most likely. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a way to do this...
      ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Originally posted by Puffanug
        Why not get a single DIN HU and a fold-out single DIN LCD? Are you going to be hooking the LCD up to a computer at all? I have seen some people do HU mounts above the windshield, but I'm not sure how possible this is in a VW. What about the glovebox? Any room in there for the HU? Unless you keep the HU in the dash, or on the side of the center consol, it will be out of reach most likely. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a way to do this...
        thanks redgti, i haven't taken apart my dash yet at the moment becuase i haven't received my products.

but im wondering how did you make that cage for the screen? is it hard/expesnive??
        im thinking move down the controls for the AC down as far as it can go (half inch??) move the head unit down and squash the tv in the double din and cut out the cup holder.. with the cupholder + the ac moved down i think ti'll give me enough room .. the only thing is i think i dont have the skill necessary to fab up a cage and make it look clean.

as far as why im not getting a flip out, its because these units are given to me under a sponsor program =)

Comment

Is it a detachable face HU? I have seen some people hack the HU up so that just the faceplate was near them, and the HU was hidden somewhere. Check out this thread for an idea what I am talking about...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54990
          ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Comment

yes and it does come with a remote control................... hmm, but i dont see where i can mount the face plate?

(read some more on it, seems a little risky and may not work too?)

Comment

Mount the faceplate on the sun visor! That would be cool, but probably not convient for use.

What about a custom mount above the air vents? On the top center of the dash? Like this... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63433
              ~Puff

Comment

do you have a sunroof? if so the panel that covers the motor just behind the map lights you could fab the faceplate there.
                1990 Jeep Cherokee
                2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Why not get a single DIN HU and a fold-out single DIN LCD?
                  because none of them look professional. IMO, they all look like cheap pieces of plastic. Fabricating a dash piece looks MUCH better when done right.

I have seen some people do HU mounts above the windshield, but I'm not sure how possible this is in a VW.
                  The issue here is if he has a sun roof, if so, the motor for the sunroof is located where you would normally do this, and ot mount a full size din radio here is next to impossible.

What about the glovebox? Any room in there for the HU?
                  none, it's not deep enough with the factory AC work behind the glovebox.

Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by bronfufu
                    thanks redgti
                    NP!

but im wondering how did you make that cage for the screen? is it hard/expesnive??
                    it's called fabricating.

You will have to get creative and learn how to fabricate to get the results you're looking for. Start reading up on fiberglass and bondo.

im thinking move down the controls for the AC down as far as it can go (half inch??) move the head unit down and squash the tv in the double din and cut out the cup holder.. with the cupholder + the ac moved down i think ti'll give me enough room .. the only thing is i think i dont have the skill necessary to fab up a cage and make it look clean.
                    You don't fabricate a cage, you use the stock one. You fabricate the bezel. Work with what you already have. Number one rule in fabricating IMO.

If you're scared of it not looking clean you need to get over that hump.

Buy some resin and fiber glass mat and some bondo and practice with it on a plastic cup and some spare wood bits before you start to work on your dash.
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

What about a custom mount above the air vents? On the top center of the dash? Like this... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63433
                      because a new dash for a VW is in the $1400 range and unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE you know what you are doing, hacking into a VW dash is a BAD idea.

The visor won't work either, unless you like exposed wire, there's no where to hide the wire.

if you're willing to get rid of your ash trey and cig lighter, you can mount the face plate in the same manner as I have done my display for my Alpine processor.
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
                        do you have a sunroof? if so the panel that covers the motor just behind the map lights you could fab the faceplate there.
                        there's hardly enough depth here without running into the sunroof motor, and you also run into the issue of blocking your rearview mirror. If that's ok with you, then go for it, I wouldn't suggesst it though.

*whew* don't postwhoring now....lol
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

RedGTI is a fountain of info! Good news is all my suggestions are getting ruled out, so we must be heading in the right direction for your install. I am about to get into fabricating too... good luck to the both of us!

RedGTI - In case I never told you before, great work on your install. I used to have a 2000 Jetta GLX, and your install pics make me miss my VW Oh well, at least we are still in the same family (VW & Audi)...
                          ~Puff

Comment

red gti, thanks, can you show pics of your ashtray? cuz i dont use that POS anyways.

Comment

I've been seriously thinking about an Audi for a next vehicle, I just wish they would release the A3 in a two door here in the states and I'd be sold....I'm too stuck on a hatch to go to a trunk...lol

btw - for more ideas on how to make the screen check here as well:

http://www.mj-garage.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=25

and here:

http://www.mj-garage.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=26

Those are old installs in my car. I'm not proud of them in the least, but there are some useful images in there to give you some ideas on the dash.

and thanks Puff!
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X