Fiberglass mixing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass mixing

As everyone knows, when mixing the harner in with the resin, there isn't much worktime..my question is what do you guys usually use to mix it in. I've tried to use glass cups and they will either crack or will just ruin the glass once it hardens. I've also tried platic cups and the resin eats through them. What works the best for you guys?

I go to 7-11 and grab a few coffee cups. They are paper cups with a waxy coating and hold up fine to the resin.
    G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

I use these http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS...ng_Cup_93.html
      they can be re-used 6 times or so by cracking the resin out.
      Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

paint mixing cups at walmart - the plastic ones...

something like $0.60 a pop.

as V8 mentioned, they can be reused.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Styrofoam holds out long enough for 2 uses... I sometime wrap it in tape and get to use it for a day or so.
          Car Mods
          -no car mods

Comment

I'm not so sure I'd want the styrofoam that's deteroriated to be mixed in to my project....
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I usually use the walmart paint cups as mentioned above. They have ounce marks on the side which is good for mixing. Sometimes I wrap them with aluminum foil if I intend to reuse them.
              2003 Mazda Protege5 -- Clarion/DLS/Eclipse
              Click here for install photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                paint mixing cups at walmart - the plastic ones...

something like $0.60 a pop.

as V8 mentioned, they can be reused.

yes get these.. i used mine for my fiberglass and I just left a 60 cent brush in it.. when the fiberglass was dried I just pulled it out along with the brush and could use it again

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                  I'm not so sure I'd want the styrofoam that's deteroriated to be mixed in to my project....
                  yea the 1x10^-8 m^3 of styro in my resin creates real problems
                  Car Mods
                  -no car mods

Comment

Most commercially available fiberglass resin is polystyrene. That's the same stuff styrofoam is made out of and shouldn't see ill effects if some made its way into the project.

You mean you guys actually measure out the resin and hardener? Amateurs....

Comment

lol

I don't think I've ever measured...just kinda squirted or used one of the big jugs where you squeeze it up into the cup and then pour...and even then I didn't measure...lol
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Atta boy.

Comment

girl....
                          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

lol

hahaha
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

I have been re fiberglassing my boat, using a plastic container, cleaning out the resin with acetone when I am done, works fine and hasn't cracked yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X