Custom 1.6mm Thick Aluminum Carpc Trunk Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 1.6mm Thick Aluminum Carpc Trunk Case

Seeing as I didn't want to buy a pre-made case, I decided to make my own. I bought a 48" x 15" sheet of 1.6mm thick aluminum on eBay for around $20 shipped. I then bought a bending brake on eBay for another $20. Bringing the total to a mere $40.

Using a Dewalt 18V Jigsaw and BOSCH metal cutting blades, I cut out my sheet into the size I needed. Then bent in in particular places with the bending brake.

Here is the outcome... so far I have mounted everything solid (mobo, HD and PSU) and made all the openings I need (minus ventelation). The top and sides will be another piece which will screw into two side beams.

I also realized that my case is the same size as my stock CD changer, so I'll just mount it in the trunk using the little ears on the sides of the case.

Everything in place, rear of the case.

Connections.

PSU mounting.

Screws holding in the hard drive.

Side beam, I will make it shorter (in height) for airflow to the fans. The top will screw into it.

Proposed placement of my 40mm fans.

You can see more progress pics in my worklog thread here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=67508&page=3

Let me know what you guys think!

Another note.. I'm thinking spraying it with black Plastidip to make it more rugged?

Comment

Nice work on those bends there.As far as spraying the case,I'd leave it raw as you'll get better heat dissipation.While I'm looking at it,do you think a
      40 mm fan will move enough air to keep things cool?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by seanshine
        Nice work on those bends there.As far as spraying the case,I'd leave it raw as you'll get better heat dissipation.While I'm looking at it,do you think a

Works in servers. Though they have a few more of them.
        Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryWoods
          Works in servers. Though they have a few more of them.
          I'll try two for now, slits on one side and two exhaust fans on the other.

Comment

Originally posted by seanshine
            Thanks. Bending the large portions were hard. It maxed out my bending brake.

Agree with heat dissipation being better without paint.. might just leave it like that. But then might paint it with high-temp flat black ceramic paint.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKernel
              Thanks. Bending the large portions were hard. It maxed out my bending brake.

Agree with heat dissipation being better without paint.. might just leave it like that. But then might paint it with high-temp flat black ceramic paint.
              One thing I've always wondered if high-temp heats dissipate heat better or insulate the heat better? Based on your statement, I'd assume the former.

Like I said, always wondered. heh.

Comment

thats a preaty cool looking case

Comment

i would spray it with bedliner paint, but not plastic dip.....i tried doing this to my mound for my LCD once.....its too difficult to get even
                  PC Components:
                  Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                  My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                    i would spray it with bedliner paint, but not plastic dip.....
                    Agreed. I used the Plastidip on a G5 mouse I modified, it was not durable at all and got blisters after a couple weeks. After they popped the stuff peeled off.
                    {Xenarc 700TSV} {Celeron M 1.3 ghz} {ASUS mATX mobo w/CT479} {MX440 128mb AGP} {1x512mb RAM} {3.5" Seagate 40gb (rated at 350 G's)} {M1-ATX}

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Comment

This is an awesome post. Do you have any pictures of the case 100% finished? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
                      My car PC page, with pictures

Comment

Holy two year old thread batman!

Nice case though..........
                        For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                        Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Nice work, I did something similar myself. I'm new to this site but I've been working on my pc for a while now although I haven't posted up anything about mine yet. My brake also took some abuse as well when bending some parts.
                          Kids, don't play with too many knives! -Crack Stuntman

Comment

I know I'm perpetuating an old thread, but here's a brake I found on harbor freight for $30 plus shipping (was only 7.99 for me...)

18" Bending Brake

If you search ebay now, there's not much there, the cheapest one I saw was actually more than harbor freight...
                            2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
                            Car PC Progress:
                            Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
                            Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
                            Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
                            RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
                            View my
                            Worklog
                            Road Runner Skins
                            Website
                            Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Too bad the pics are gone. I also use 1.6mm or .063in aluminum in my builds. Strong as can be, lightweight, excellent thermal properties, cost effective. Quite possibly the best material to use for carPC work.
                              Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Working...
                              X