Anyone able to cut Plexi/ABS/Aluminum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone able to cut Plexi/ABS/Aluminum

Yes, I know it is broad, but I need to have something made/cut.

I have contacted a couple of people on the board who stated they have laser for cutting and are willing to do it, but they have not responded to my PMs. I also tried emachine.com, but well, the cost was pretty prohibitive.

Anyone want to help me out.

I need a frame for an LCD, a back for it, and some small pieces for the bottm and sides. I really don't think it is that hard, I just don't have the tools to do it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy an acrylic knife. They're like $2. All you do is mark, score multiple times and break. Pretty easy.

Comment

PM that blk02si -mustang guy. he clearly has access to aluinum fabrication materials and he's DAMN reasonable on prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
        Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy an acrylic knife. They're like $2. All you do is mark, score multiple times and break. Pretty easy.
        Unfortunately, that does not help me cut out the INSIDE of the sheet-I need a "frame" for the screen, but thanks for your suggestion.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
          PM that blk02si -mustang guy. he clearly has access to aluinum fabrication materials and he's DAMN reasonable on prices.
          I will try that, thanks.

Michael

Comment

pololu.com seems like a good place for getting plastics laser-cut, if you don't need aluminum.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

if you can make it out of aluminum, I would suggest doing that then.

Mark your square in the middle of the sheet of aluminum, then drill a series of holes big enough to slip a hacksaw blade between. Remember to not get TOO close to your line. Once you have the whole inside square cut with this method, grab a file and just file it down to your line. For the most part, aluminum files pretty easy as long as you keep the file clean, so it'll go along real quick.

If you take a look at my install (link is in my signature), that's the method I used for the screen enclosure, and the headunit/dvd bezel...and it worked out wonderfully.
              Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
              macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
              14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
              Completly custom computer case

Comment

I just pm'd you with my contact number.

Comment

http://www.wausauawards.com/

Ask for Mike (how can you go wrong with a name like that? )

They did right by me. Supplied the thickness I wanted, fast turn around and quick shipping. Perfectly smooth all around. That Paolo place was going through a move or some damn thing a few months ago, cust. serv. was a bit dicey, and they really just didn't seem to give a crap about my little tiny order. That was my experience with them, which dumped me (thankfully) into Waussau Awards' lap.

Good Luck!

Mike
                  Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

There is a place local to me in Knoxville, TN.

I just email them the solidworks file of what I want.. they cut it out, I pick it up.. usually only takes then a few days. They can probably do the same for you, just ship it. Or I will pick it up and ship it to you.

Nick
                    2002 Twin Turbo ZO6
                    2005 Hummer H2

Comment

Originally posted by BLOWNZO6_pc
                      There is a place local to me in Knoxville, TN.

I just email them the solidworks file of what I want.. they cut it out, I pick it up.. usually only takes then a few days. They can probably do the same for you, just ship it. Or I will pick it up and ship it to you.

Nick
                      Thanks for the offer.

I have been contacted, and contacted several of the poeple who responded in this thread and by PM, and so far, NO ONE has come through. Communication is spotty at best, and when it does come, it is not informative at all.

BlownZ06, if you can PM me, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,
                      Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X