Best Place

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Place

What is the best place in the car to put the computer so that it is not exposed to over-heating and that it is not an eye sore?

the boot or glovebox, like most people
    http://www.digital-car.co.uk

Comment

kida new at this stuff, whats the boot?

Comment

kida new at this stuff, whats the boot?
        That's europe-talk for trunk...

Under the seat may work well for you too. I think the general rules are keep it out of sunlight and away from any major heat source. Provide enough space for airflow, and try not to go with a power-monster machine.
        ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

I have mine on a custom board that mounts to the side of the inside of my trunk. Its carpeted to the stock color of the trunk and I also put a fan on it so it doesnt overheat. I think that most people just put them in their trunks.

Comment

for most people, theres 2 choices like mentioned above

trunk, or under a seat, u should go to Show Off Your Ride

check some other peoples installs, could give you some other ideas as well

Comment

I put my laptop under the seat for the simple reason that that's probably the coolest place in my car. I haven't needed to install a fan yet. The AC fan will blow right through it. Another advantage is I don't need to run long wire to the screen upfront.
              iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
              CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by b8bboi
                I put my laptop under the seat for the simple reason that that's probably the coolest place in my car. I haven't needed to install a fan yet. The AC fan will blow right through it. Another advantage is I don't need to run long wire to the screen upfront.
                haha, a lot of people dont have a laptop X)

but yeah, under seat most AC's/Heaters can blow on it

Comment

under seat is a no no, used only as a last resort

there are so many issues that occur when equipment is mounted under a seat...
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

trunk is good no noise from fans etc as well
                    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                    Sound Stage
                    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Can you elaborate a little bit?

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                      under seat is a no no, used only as a last resort

there are so many issues that occur when equipment is mounted under a seat...
                      Hi GTi VR6,

Perhaps I missed it in the Uber-FAQs, but could you list just a few of the reasons why under-seat mounting is a no-no?

I would think that, but have no real idea, that....
                      CONS:
                      Not enough space under most seats to get good ventilation.
                      Could be subject to dampness/moisture from backseat passenger's shoes
                      ~edit to include -zip-'s comment above~ trunk is good no noise from fans etc
                      PROS:
                      Shorter cables (than trunk mount), thereby reducing likelyhood of wiring-related "noise".
                      If laptop in docking station, ease of access from inside cabin

Thanks.
                      1998 Volvo V70 "Volputer"
                      Worklog: planning and procurement.
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75505

Comment

Reasons for not installing anything underneath the seats.
                        • There is no place to properly ground anything underneath the seat. Most people would try and use the seat bracket bolts. These are not good grounding points for a few reasons.
                          - Usually these bolts are covered in grease, grit, or grime, thus making the ground a bad ground.
                          - These same bolts are usually covered in paint, as is the threaded part that the bolt goes into.
                          - Those mounting points usually have carpet underneath them, meaning that the ground is not solid.
                        • That dirt, grit, and grime got there somehow. That same dirt, grit, and grime will get in whatever piece of electronic equipment you put underneath the seat.
                        • If passengers can see it, they will mess with it. I know that we all like to think we can trust our friends. The fact of the matter is that people are curious. If they see a bunch of wires sticking out they will play with them. Not only will you risk having your passengers pulling things apart, you also risk them shocking themselves. Though you might think ďGood, they deserve it thenĒ, you can still be held liable. Sucks, but thatís the truth.
                        • Even if you ask people to watch their feet, itís like a magnet. Their feet will find their way under the seat. In doing, so they will break wires, break solders on boards, and introduce all kinds of foreign objects from their shoes that you donít want around electronics.
                        • The seat moves, you can try all you can think of, but it moves. There are things beneath the seat that will catch wires and pull them out. Moving pieces are never a good thing to mount next to or around unless you have the proper materials, and 9 times out of 10, you won't.

I'll remember the others in a bit, right now I need to eat breakfast...lol
                        Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                        X