Up/Down screen motion...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up/Down screen motion...

This may belong in a different discussion but.....

Hi all, tyring to upgrade my current setup by motorizing my Tview so that it can move up/down. More specifically, it would pop up and then go down into the top of the dash like the stock volvo navigation does. I've gotten some suggestions using a power antenna to do this but the space is very limited under the center channel speaker grill. I probably have like 6.75" to play with, if that. Anyone have any ideas? Oh and here's a pic of the stock setup...

Linear actuators or gear drive? Seems like those are the two most popular ways to automate things. Some people use power antennas also for light automation tasks...
    ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Search on terms "flip up" or "linear actuator" or "servo" or "fold screen". You'll find a number of threads on this. I have a homemade fold out mechanism for my screen. You may want to take a look at the link in my sig to see the hardware I used, even though it isn't a vertical movement.

I'd look at some sort of scissors jack underneath or attached to the back of the screen housing.

[Edit: How does Volvo do this? Maybe you could adapt their system to your screen]
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Use roller bearing drawer slides and power antennas, cheap and effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
          Use roller bearing drawer slides and power antennas, cheap and effective.
          can you elaborate on this design? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
            Search on terms "flip up" or "linear actuator" or "servo" or "fold screen". You'll find a number of threads on this. I have a homemade fold out mechanism for my screen. You may want to take a look at the link in my sig to see the hardware I used, even though it isn't a vertical movement.

I'd look at some sort of scissors jack underneath or attached to the back of the screen housing.

[Edit: How does Volvo do this? Maybe you could adapt their system to your screen]
            bug...yeah I actually have seen your install and think its very sweet. I also have a servo and usb servo controller but I'm kinda stuck as to how to get the servo to move the screen linearly up/down like 6-7 inches or so. You mentioned a scissor jack...that might actually work..do you have any suggestions to go the scissor route?

Comment

Like what bugbyte said, a scissor jack might be the way to go with a horizontal linear actuator to move the jack up and down. This will make your mechanism compact when your screen is down taking up less room. If your familiar with these jacks your actuator will be in the center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scissor_jack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2255900

There are other ways to do it too.
              PROGRESS [==========-] 99.9% <- Are we ever really actually done with our carPCs?

Comment

Originally posted by juve021
                can you elaborate on this design? thanks
                You attach the drawer slides to the car and the screen the same way you would attach them to a drawer and a cabinet. Then you make a little push part you attach to the drawer slide to where it won't be seen when the screen is up. Then you arrange the power antenna so it pushes on the push part to make the screen go up. Gravity takes care of the down but the power antenna's retraction keeps it from slamming down.

You could also make the dash part hinged with a little "hand" coming out that part of the moving assembly could grab and pull it shut once it gets low enough.

Comment

to me, you will need to sort the track & sliders before finalizing the motorization part of it... the motorization won't hold the screen, you need to get that set up first... a slide track on each side maybe, this can be done with small ball roller tracks, or as simple as a grove with a matching tonge, but you want minimal friction & to eliminate the urge for it to cock sideways.. etc... once you have this thing siding up & down securely, then you can plan how to motorize it.. that's the approach I would use...
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                    to me, you will need to sort the track & sliders before finalizing the motorization part of it... the motorization won't hold the screen, you need to get that set up first... a slide track on each side maybe, this can be done with small ball roller tracks, or as simple as a grove with a matching tonge, but you want minimal friction & to eliminate the urge for it to cock sideways.. etc... once you have this thing siding up & down securely, then you can plan how to motorize it.. that's the approach I would use...
                    I am not sure about servos, but stepper motors do have holding torque. If you use a scissor jack, and a stepper motor, you would be golden. With drawer track (check out the PTFE lined one here http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...RelatedCtlgPgs) you might be able to use a stepper motor that moves along the tracks. If you need more help, I should be able to come up with a rudimentary drawing for you.

Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

yeah, to hold it open, or closed they can have torque, especially a stepper... a screwjack will also have good holding torque..... I meant more to actually support the screen, which will require either slide tracks or a sissor mechanisim..., those tracks look good...

Comment

I found an awsome track once in a marine supply... was intended as some sort of screen sliding track, but real low profile & a nice piece of extruded aluminum channel .... it has little teflon sliders that are easy to mount to... theres plenty of things that could work...

Comment

Wow guys, thanks for these great ideas! I really like the scissor jack idea. I was thinking some more about this and had this idea...sorry for the crappy pic but hopefully you'll get the idea. Tell me what you think? Will it work?

Comment

Originally posted by juve021
                            Wow guys, thanks for these great ideas! I really like the scissor jack idea. I was thinking some more about this and had this idea...sorry for the crappy pic but hopefully you'll get the idea. Tell me what you think? Will it work?

The only problem with that is that the amount of torque to get the pivoted arms to straighten will probably be significant. If you can somehow keep the pivot close to a 90 degree or so angle before extending the arms, you should be o.k. That might mean shorter arms before and after the pivot point, and that might lead to issue with the length of travel. If you use a screw jack with that setup, you should be good to go, but will require a little more engineering.

Michael
                            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                              The only problem with that is that the amount of torque to get the pivoted arms to straighten will probably be significant. If you can somehow keep the pivot close to a 90 degree or so angle before extending the arms, you should be o.k. That might mean shorter arms before and after the pivot point, and that might lead to issue with the length of travel. If you use a screw jack with that setup, you should be good to go, but will require a little more engineering.

Michael

Ahhh yes I didn't think of this. Plus I think I have some more issues with this in that the screen would just flop down and never get to fully extended because of gravity. Michael, would you mind making a quick skectch of your idea? Thanks I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X