How long to release a dash kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to release a dash kit?

Hi, this is my first post! I'd like to say hi and have a quick question...
    I just bought an '06 lexus is250 w/o navigation and I want to put a 1-din nav/dvd player inside really badly, but there is no dash kit for it now. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for a aftermarket manufacturer to create a dash kit? Or... about how much custom audio shops charge for this service? I've seen one in japan like this and think its beautiful...any ideas? thanks...
    Attached Files

no clue how long it takes, but since its the fabrication forum..... why dont you make one? many options ABS, fiberglass, etc.... use the search option (it really is a great feature)

Comment

That looks like a 2 din screen to me. Why not get the is350?

Comment

is that picture urs or what u want??
        where do u wana put the screen?
        View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

he wants a aftermarket nav unit, pioneer or the like. the ones they sell at circuit city...

there are no double din to single din with box conversion kits, like metra sells.

so basically you wait till one comes out, for that car, probably in 6-12 months. im unfamilar with them, but im guessing the 06 is totally different than an 05?

am i right in saying you have no intention in putting a pc into your car? all you want is a premanufactured nav unit? im confused because you say you want a 1din unit, but you post a pic of a screen that is obviously built into a 2din spot.

???
          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
          Pictures
          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

sorry about the confusion, I post in the is250 forums so I forgot to explain further. I am talking about the area below the lcd screen, the one with the alpine unit in it. I would love to fabricate the project myself but i can barely put this sentance together . Also, I cant replace the stock lcd screen because it has all the a/c ect. controls on it. looks like I might have to wait for metra to come out with one though.

this is the pic of the stock unit, see where the radio/cd player is? thats the section i want to put the 1din HU in. Does this task seem hard for a total noobie?

Comment

Yeah, that'd more than likely be hell for a newb.

Comment

IS350 Question

I'm helping a friend with his IS350.... We're putting in a couple of JL's and a Kicker amp and I need to get to the stereo output to tap into it. I've searchd around, but I can't find much info on it. Does anyone know how to remove the bezel and get behind the stock head unit? A little detail in the steps would be great! Thanks all!

Comment

dude, my guess is you'll wait a hell of a lot longer than 6 months for metra to come out with a kit... the audio unit is integrated with the upper screen, & there will be very few who will consider butchering this to throw an alpine in it, metra may never make a kit for this, unless this car is also available with a similar but lesser config that doesn't have everything integrated like that..

that'll take some ballsy ambishious butchering there... good luck with that... not saying I wouldn't attempt something with it if I had that car, but you may be better off trying to work with what you got, or just getting completely radical with it will be your only alternative...
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

not to be a douschebag, but why go through so much trouble on the newer car

not just you will have to redo your bezel with limited instructions, you will also have to recode all the functions that factory screen gives you.

i checked out crutchfield
                    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GnbX7mR...6vehicleid%3D0

this is pretty much all available for the car, not even DIN radios, there are instructions of how to dissasemble some parts.

if you will start now you will pretty much screw yourself if you don't know what you are doing, mounting computer.

at least you will have to do is to fabricate nice factory panel to fit the screen, then you might also need to swap the amplifier, by doing that you might even need to redo factory audio system, for which there is no many resources available

Yev
                    R. T. F. M

Comment

yeah man, it would be pretty extreme.... again, I could see doing it, but you'd have to get into custom interfaces that you'll have to develop yourself, & you'd better have mad skills to not ruin this bigtime...
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

There has to be a way to integrate a car pc with the rest of the system, possibly with another display and tapping into audio only. Not neccessarily (sp) hacking into the dash but adding to it?

BTW any luck finding the japanese bezels?
                        Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madmartigan View Post
                          There has to be a way to integrate a car pc with the rest of the system, possibly with another display and tapping into audio only. Not neccessarily (sp) hacking into the dash but adding to it?

finding quality JDM bezels is hard, im lookin for one for my FD, cant find them anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by madmartigan View Post

of course there is a way, the question is how much money it will cost, when you buy something off massive production lines it's cheap, custom hundred times more expensive.

A lot of it, is marketing, when whatever manufacturer decides to produce something they look at the demand first.

I can't say that there is a demand for bezels on that car, when person buys a luxury type vehicle they should have been satisfied with car audio, bring cd on test drive etc. and everything else cause car is not cheap

another thing, after fooling around with that, these days all cars have a OBD advanced computers which could reveal your dealer all the tap ins has been made etc. as a result of voiding electrical, and airbag warranty, even if you prove that it would not you will have to have too much time on your hands.

my best advice, stick with what you have, wait for the kit. sell your car, and downgrade to a manageable car if you really want to have a pc, (the last one is financially inpractical)

Yev
                            R. T. F. M

Comment

oh, well almost forgot look at the ways you can adjust your screen to display VGA, maybe you would not need a surgery after all

Yev
                              R. T. F. M

Comment

Working...
                              X