update on enlcosure for 18's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on enlcosure for 18's

I started putting down glass and got 2 layers dried.

I sanded down some of the really rough spots so its ready for another 2 layers tomorrow. I usually let it sit in the sun for a couple of hours and it dries pretty fast. I already pulled it out and its sitting outside.
    1999 Lexus GS300- (going VIP)
    1993 Lexus SC300-Turbo (Totaled by idiot driver)
    1996 Lexus SC400- (Totaled by brother)
    1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)
    1994 Toyota Camry- (sold)

the fumes in that trunk have to be otherworldly right now...

what's your plan for building the front of the enclosure? I've seen everybody taping off and making the back side that conforms to the trunk.. but i've never seen a really concrete method of forming the front of the box... so i was just curious what you had in mind.
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

I'm going to do exactly what GTI suggested. After I build this up a bit i'm going to cut up some MDF to use as supports for the MDF ring.

Once everything is in place and glued down I'm going to use either fleece of if I can get hold of that non-backed speaker box carpet ill use that.

Apply a layer or two to strengthen the fleece/carpet and then once that is dried start applying the duraglass on the inside of the elcosure for more strength... and maybe apply another layer or two on the topside.

Then some non-hardening modeling clay as GTI used in her enclosure.

Then rage gold, sand, rage gold, sand, rage gold, sand, sand, sand, feel it up, sand, primer and paint.

I'll probably be dynamatting the trunk later this week as well. I planned it I just wasnt sure when I was going to do it.
      1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Well, i guess i should have phrased my question more carefully. You've got your back piece made... and you're making the MDF rings for your driver mount and stretching fleece over it.

What i was getting at is the surface(s) from the edge MDF ring to the edges back piece.... how are you going to define the edges of the back piece? Are you just going to cut it straight or are you following the edges of your trunk? I imagine those edges will be visible when you're all done.

Comment

Ohhh. If i'm understanding correctly, the glass extends all the way out, all I do is just trim it and them fleece everything going from edge to edge. I guess it would be easier to see in pics or something.
          1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Yep! I'll just wait and see.

Comment

Here's a cheating method I suggest you use. Once you get your form stretched correctly and get the fleece attached to the two sides of the enclosure that are NOT next to weatherstripping, pull up the weatherstripping. Then trim the sides that are next to the weather stripping even with the edge of the body crimp. Then you stretch the fleece up and over the body crimp and then hammer the weatherstripping back down. Paint on some resin and you'll have the shape perfectly up to the weatherstripping. After it hardens, you'll just need to take the weatherstripping off, pop the enclosure out and lay a few sheets of mat on the inside against this seam. It'll look flawless.

Comment

Nice tip shadow! I'm def going to do that. Thanks.
                1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Good idea Shadow. What do you usually do about defining the other edges? Just the volume you need? Artistic license? other hardpoints?

Comment

As long as the volume is close, it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Got some work done yesterday! I dropped the enclosure a few times its pretty tough but it needs more!!!!!!!

How does bondoglass compare to duraglass? I mean aside from quality are they like similar products?

New terminals and 0 guage wiring:

Cuts:

Few more layers + fixed top edge:

1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Whats the best way to go about this installation. I want to have my amps positioned this way:

Nine1 in the center and nine2's on each side...

My original plan was to first cut an MDF board for each amp then position them and use pieces of MDF to hold them up and for the gaps in the middle use some fleece and the fiberglass the gaps.

I'd use supports to connect the amps together so its like one piece. I would have to tune the amps before mounting them of course, unless I mount them a little lower instead of standing them up all the way... that way if i need to make adjustments it wont be a headache. Input is welcome, if you want the original image to photoshop some ideas OR you want a better pic of the trunk just let me know.

I'm still brainstorming and nothing is final. I'm aiming to have the rack removable IF at all possible. I may have to finish both my sub enclosures in order to fit the rack correctly and build it correctly....
                        1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

i think the simplest way would be to do what you're saying... align 3 pieces of mdf... one for each amp in the way you want it, attach all three to a 4th piece that sits on the trunk floor, then stretch fleece over the whole mess like you were making a sub box... prime and paint... or just carpet over what you get, screw the amps in and done!

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                            i think the simplest way would be to do what you're saying... align 3 pieces of mdf... one for each amp in the way you want it, attach all three to a 4th piece that sits on the trunk floor, then stretch fleece over the whole mess like you were making a sub box... prime and paint... or just carpet over what you get, screw the amps in and done!
                            yea thats what I had in mind. I guess I'll go with that then. Just need to make sure i can get it in and out of the trunk

I already have a piece cut for the base that is perfect so thats my starting point.
                            1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

look at gb_vette's thread about his first amp rack or sub box. it will show you how he did it.
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X