Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion tc fiberglass lcd

Hey,
    Just wanted to share my current project. I have done a few screens for the tc using bondo. worked great. But I am trying a different approach using fiberglass. My goal is to create a fiberglass screen that will retain the buttons for the monitor. I already got it fitting like a glove. I still got tons of sanding and bondo ahead.

Suggestions welcomed

mmm lumptastic... What did you use to form the fiberglass in the first place? just lay it up over the factory opening or did you create a pattern for it?
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Yeah, I know. I got a lot of sanding ahead of me. but am up to the challenge. I first started by creating a fiberglass copy of the screen bezel. I then fiberglassed over factory opening.

Comment

this isnt really a fiberglassing type of project. leave FG for sub boxes and large projects.

all you need to use is some duramix 4040 and a little bondo and that screen bezel could be done in a matter of hours.
        2003 Ford F-250 7.3L Diesel Crew Cab

Pictures of my truck, hobbies, and more HERE

Comment

On the contrary, I think it's very well suited to fiberglass. The construction technique might have to be altered, but i'd take a GRP part over a pile of bondo any day.

Comment

I have never used duramix before. i am looking for something to make the bezel fit more like a glove and for now fiberglass seems to be my closest option.

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
              On the contrary, I think it's very well suited to fiberglass. The construction technique might have to be altered, but i'd take a GRP part over a pile of bondo any day.

i didnt say to use bond structurally. thats what the duramix 4040 is used for. its very rigid plastic that is applied in liquid for and then hardens. Its a common and proven method in the professional custom install world

The body filler is just used as a very light top coat to cover scratches from the sandpaper and small air holes that form from applying the 4040. look at my dash in my thread about my carpc (linked in my sig).

Comment

Originally posted by bembowe View Post
                I have never used duramix before. i am looking for something to make the bezel fit more like a glove and for now fiberglass seems to be my closest option.
                are you trying to make the screen removable?

so basically your trying to make a snap in bezel that will fit iinto the dash opening?

Comment

Originally posted by sciontC View Post
                  i didnt say to use bond structurally. thats what the duramix 4040 is used for. its very rigid plastic that is applied in liquid for and then hardens. Its a common and proven method in the professional custom install world

The body filler is just used as a very light top coat to cover scratches from the sandpaper and small air holes that form from applying the 4040. look at my dash in my thread about my carpc (linked in my sig).

maybe I should research into duramix. I am assuming its probably much easier and cleaner to work with than fiber glass. perhaps on my next project

Comment

oh yeah. its very easy to work with once you get a little experience with it. check out www.selectproducts.com they have it there and its where i buy mine.

Comment

does the application come with a hardener of some sort? Would i need to buy any thing else inorder to use duramix 4040?

Comment

its a 2part application. all you need is the special applicator gun and some spare tips. the gun will last forever.

Comment

The gun's $65 and the tubes of epoxy are $25 each.

Comment

sciontC- It was kinda hard for me to tell what you did with the duramix in your carpc install... but maybe that's the point. All i was saying is that glass is some strong stuff when used properly... i mean, I've even seen concrete mixed with glass fibers for additional strength. When we're talking about thin, potentially removable parts, FG would definitely be the way to go, but if it's just for fixing/flushing a screen into place, then your method works too. I wonder how well duramix holds up in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                              sciontC- It was kinda hard for me to tell what you did with the duramix in your carpc install... but maybe that's the point. All i was saying is that glass is some strong stuff when used properly... i mean, I've even seen concrete mixed with glass fibers for additional strength. When we're talking about thin, potentially removable parts, FG would definitely be the way to go, but if it's just for fixing/flushing a screen into place, then your method works too. I wonder how well duramix holds up in the long run.
                              duramix holds up great in the long run. i still have my practice peice i used 3 years ago and it hasnt changed on bit. what this stiff is most commonly used for outside of car audio is bumper repair, so its made to be strong and last

also, my screen is removable in my dash. i slide in/out a bunch, its no different than if toyota were to make the dash this way from the beginning

Comment

Working...
                              X