why wont my fabric won't harden... help plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why wont my fabric won't harden... help plz

Hey ppl! I am on my first fiberglass project... trying to make a subwoofer enclosure...

I am at the part where I soak the fabric with resin so that I can lay fiberglass over it... but i'm not sure why my fabric isn't hardening...

I am using 435 Standard Polyester Layup Resin from US Composites.

I soaked the hell out of my fabric (some polyester/stretchy material I got from walmart) and let it sit from about 8pm last night till now...

the material is still flexiable though and some what stretchy...

am I supposed to use hardner with the resin when soaking the material?? or should I apply another layer of resin on the fabric???

any help would be greatly appreciated.

erm....resin is 2 part bud. you are supposed to mix in a hardener with it to trigger the polymerisation or you will be waiting a pretty long time.

you need to that came with the tub. (sorry love that smilie)

you need to mix the resin and hardener in the ratios they give you.

you are going to have to start again as in case you wondered you cant add hardener to it now.

Comment

here you go: http://www.shopmaninc.com/pdf/MEKPDirections.pdf

Comment

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

man... well, just curious before i rip the fabric off...

if i were to mix a new batch of resin and hardner and applied it again to the fabric (since it is still stretcy) will it absorb and work???

Comment

i assumed the 2 part process only applied to the fiberglassing part... i read a ton of tutorials but they all just say soak the fabric with resin with no mention of the hardner... so i wasnt sure

Comment

Originally posted by spliffsta View Post
            nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

man... well, just curious before i rip the fabric off...

if i were to mix a new batch of resin and hardner and applied it again to the fabric (since it is still stretcy) will it absorb and work???
            NO! as i said. do it again. you have no idea how much hardener you need to cure the old resin and you have no way of mixing it right and uncured resin is dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by spliffsta View Post
              i assumed the 2 part process only applied to the fiberglassing part... i read a ton of tutorials but they all just say soak the fabric with resin with no mention of the hardner... so i wasnt sure
              nicht. 2 part is resin and hardener, A+B etc etc. some systems are 3 part

Comment

aww ok... thanx man for tha quick responses!

Comment

good luck and mix it well.

Comment

Working...
                  X