Fabrication question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabrication question...

Ok first off I hope I dont anger the mods by posting. I have taken a dash out of a car same as mine so I have a template and I want to fabricate a custom dash and console. I studied the green Chevy job and it looks straightforward enough except, well, it doesn't! How hard was it to measure for all of those boards? That must have been very time consuming. Did they use cardboard first for all the ribs? I have seen that done before. I need tricks and tips on how to make it fit and function sweetly. Newbie or not, I need advice! Oh where is Yoda when you need him??
    Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

What "Chevy job" are you referencing? A link would be helpful.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

http://www.undefinedcustoms.com/memberrides/daryl.html

Comment

that is kind of ridiculous to take on as your first fab job. the only advise i can give you is measure twice and cut once
        [::::::::::] 100% - Planning
        [::::::::::] 80% - Computer
        [::::::::::] 0% - Fabbing
        CarPC:
        SP13000 / 120GB SATA 2.5" / 512MB DDR
        8" Innovatek TS / Globalsat BU-353 / Engenius EUB-362 EXT
        Slot load DVDRW / PS3 Wireless Keyboard

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Comment

That has got to be the ugliest truck I've ever seen. Though I drive a Honda Element, so I can't say too much. Living in Alaska, I don't see the point of lowering a truck, or cars for that matter. I'm more of a function over looks kind of guy anyway. If this is going to be your first try at fabbing a dash, good luck! Hopefully you have at least some fiberglassing skills.
            Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryWoods View Post
              Living in Alaska, I don't see the point of lowering a truck, or cars for that matter. I'm more of a function over looks kind of guy anyway.
              We have smooooth roads here in Texas, so lowering a car can help it get around corners faster. In that case, function follows form.

Comment

lowering the car can help

as long as you stiffen the suspension as well, dont wanna see anyone scraping the sideskirts 'cause the car rolls too far

lol

but i do have to agree with barry, imo, thats one fugly dash, at least give it a better color, that green is hideous

Comment

Originally posted by madmartigan View Post
                  Ok first off I hope I dont anger the mods by posting. I have taken a dash out of a car same as mine so I have a template and I want to fabricate a custom dash and console. I studied the green Chevy job and it looks straightforward enough except, well, it doesn't! How hard was it to measure for all of those boards? That must have been very time consuming. Did they use cardboard first for all the ribs? I have seen that done before. I need tricks and tips on how to make it fit and function sweetly. Newbie or not, I need advice! Oh where is Yoda when you need him??
                  Just a thought we have a couple of fabricators over here... is there any one over there you can use ? The one I have in mind here allowed MC Stoo to win the best dash 2005 in the UK and it was not that much expensive than doing it him self due to the time and exprience this guy had.

Requested the mod place a link here for you as I'm not allowed and its another CarPC company so you can have a look.

Terran
                  My Project Site

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
                    We have smooooth roads here in Texas, so lowering a car can help it get around corners faster. In that case, function follows form.
                    Okay, I see that with cars, but trucks?? If you want something that handles like a car, buy a freaking car! It's not like you can put a bunch of weight in the back with it lowered anymore.
                    Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryWoods View Post
                      Okay, I see that with cars, but trucks?? If you want something that handles like a car, buy a freaking car! It's not like you can put a bunch of weight in the back with it lowered anymore.
                      That is a good point...since most trucks in Texas are used for work (at least some of the time), there aren't many lowered trucks here.

However, there are people who don't care about the weight carrying capacity of their truck and/or don't plan to use it off road, but do like size, power, and comfort of a modern truck, then I can understand why someone would want to lower it for better handling on the highway. The success of Ford's F150 Lightning truck proves the existence of the market...

Your point still stands though...for corner carving, go with a car!

Comment

When measuring the pieces, it's better to be a little bigger, than a little smaller.
                        Cut along the outside of your lines.

Because even if it's 1/2 inch longer than you need it's easier to sand it down, than having to make a whole new piece because you're 1/2 inch short and it doesn't fit snug.

Comment

Who the hell sands 1/2" down? Get out the jigsaw!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                            Who the hell sands 1/2" down? Get out the jigsaw!
                            rofl, ur not kidding

half inch is crazy bad, if u need to cut THAT much more, then i think u need to practice more

fibreglass Matt would be ashamed

Comment

Fiberglass Matt would never have made such an error in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X