Screen mount suggestions (moveable)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen mount suggestions (moveable)?

I've got the case for my car pc made now and have the motherboard mounted in it (the holes at the back were a nightmare with no back plate!!), but my next big hurdle is going to be mounting the screen and I was hoping someone could help with ideas.

I want to have a slimline slotload dvd drive inside the main unit, (already have one) but that means the screen will have to be able to move in one direction or another to give access to the drive.

It'd be very interested to know if anyone else has done this and if so how they went about it and what sort of fabrication was involved/or any other bits they bought to help with this.

Pics attached so you can see what I have so far in case that will help.

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions. The only thing I have surmised so far is that the screen will probably need to slide/fold downwards as the motherboard is at the bottom of the case & it'd make sense to have the drive at the top therefore.

Cheers!
    Jim

The other thing I was wondering about was the VGA connection on the back of the board - it'd be nice to have it all inside the case but how easy is it to do this? I'm a bit scared of breaking the mobo by trying to remove the vga connector & soldering the wires directly in.....

What I think would be a good compromise would be if there is some kind of small 90 degree adaptor for the vga socket so that the socket would effectively face upwards from the back rather than straight out, at least then the plug can go down the rear panel instead of sticking right out. Hope that makes sense!

Markertek makes a right-angle VGA adapter, either up or down.

Looks like they're available here even cheaper.

Comment

Hey Cret,

this is what I'm planning on doing for my install except instead of hiding the slot drive, I'll be hiding my HU behind the screen. In the pictures it isn't shown the fact that the top of the screen will need to ride is a track of some sort to maintain the correct swivel movement.

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. That right angle adaptor looks ideal - will have to see if I can get one in the UK or on Ebay or something.

The sliding system on yours looks cool but a bit more elaborate than I was planning I must admit. I was literally thinking of a pivot at the base of the screen with something to make it move smoothly (was thinking something like two shock absorbers from one of my model cars without the springs), and some means of 'clicking' it into place at the top.

I can't think of an easy way of having it pivot at the bottom though.

I've picked up various bits of metal rods & tubes etc but can't see a practical means of setting it up.

Comment

I did actually find the perfect enclosure on here last night anyway so I may have a crack at doing something vaguely similar, albeit probably a lot less professional than this. If only these were available to buy.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=pivot

Comment

Originally posted by Cret View Post
            Thanks for the replies fellas. That right angle adaptor looks ideal - will have to see if I can get one in the UK or on Ebay or something.
            If you need me to pick one up and mail it to you, just let me know. We can settle up with paypal or something.

Comment

Many thanks for the offer but I just managed to find a place in the UK selling them so I've literally just ordered one.

Appreciate the offer though - cheers!

Comment

Cret - I was going to suggest http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=pivot but it seems you found it.

And I'll put my thinking cap on too - in the mean time ... have you thought that you may get a lot of heat in the case if you stereo is in too ? May need extra fans etc.

What I would do ( well did ) was mount the head else where - in my case the glove box box there is no real need for access to it. You can repleace it with an amp all together but I can't remeber if the M1 has the amp aux on out put.

If its for the DVD drive I would argue that in all my time I've never had the need to use one other than install and even then one of these may be better. Just have a very large hard drive and update every so offten via WIFI / LAN.

That all make the install a bit easier.

Lastly - one thing I am looking at my self ( because of what we discussed ) is using my GPS but not for routing as maps there are not that great. I'm thinking about using a cache of google or MSN which should not be that big.... it will look quite good as well.... may be some thing to add to your list ?

Terran
                My Project Site

Comment

Thanks for the comments fella - the head unit, well it would be nice to keep it but I wasn't really planning on it as there isn't the space unless it went in the glove box and I just hink it'd be a bit pants there to be honest.

I've got a Dlink USB tuner and already have amps in the car. Been given an Audigy sound card to test too when I can get a suitable riser to fit it in the case.

I suppose I could do away with the DVD drive and it would make life so much easier but I thought it would be a useful addition and I don't want to admit defeat, although I may end up doing so in the end.

You've got me thinking now if I should just do without and take the easy life....

If I could find some very small bearing drawer runners that would be a start....

I do plan on adding a USB GPS device at some point - no rush as I certainly don't need it over here! Useful for trips across though.
                  Was going to have a USB extension cable coming to a few ports on the dash too so I can plug in wifi dongle etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cret View Post
                    Thanks for the comments fella - the head unit, well it would be nice to keep it but I wasn't really planning on it as there isn't the space unless it went in the glove box and I just hink it'd be a bit pants there to be honest.

I've got a Dlink USB tuner and already have amps in the car. Been given an Audigy sound card to test too when I can get a suitable riser to fit it in the case.

I suppose I could do away with the DVD drive and it would make life so much easier but I thought it would be a useful addition and I don't want to admit defeat, although I may end up doing so in the end.

You've got me thinking now if I should just do without and take the easy life....

If I could find some very small bearing drawer runners that would be a start....

I do plan on adding a USB GPS device at some point - no rush as I certainly don't need it over here! Useful for trips across though.
                    Was going to have a USB extension cable coming to a few ports on the dash too so I can plug in wifi dongle etc.
                    I found I did not need the extension... just ran it to a bus powered up and was OK.

That been said I had to play about with the devices to balance the power.

What I'm planning on is a camera screen via my web site to match my skin ... in fact I have a version running but I can't publish it due to whats on... if you intrested let me know by PM...

Any way I digress - the idea would be to acces say the mountian camera feeds as your going up or even before to let you plan your trip just by pressing the button. This then could be dragged accross GPRS to your screen...

GPS units you can pick up for next to nothing now ... may be you can find a use for it

Terran
                    My Project Site

Comment

Hey man, I am telling you to look at the write up I haven't even finished yet. But take a look, what you want is essentially what I finished building - only for my HVAC controls instead of a DVD. It is even motorized.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86273

Comment

@Cret... this thread may intrest you

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=86756&page=2

Terran
                        My Project Site

Comment

Working...
                        X