Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Ideas needed for screen fab.

Hi all.

I recently got my lilliput and also went to the scrap yard and got a dashboard piece. Unfortunately the screen is a little to big for the space I was planning to install it into.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this. I had a few ideas on how I was going to install it but now that it doesn't fit and I've kinda run into a brick wall and need a second opinion.

I'm sure I'm going to have to trim one of the two which sucks a lot but if it has to be done it has to be done. I've also never done anything like this before so I really don't wanna screw it up.

Here's a couple pics for a better idea. Its a Corolla by the way.
    Attached Files

I suggest checking out the Show Off Your Project forum. Mayne other members have fabbes a screen into their dash with top-notch results. It's a great source for ideas and inspiration.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

ahhh, first bit of advice, dissasemble the monitor & see how just the lcd sits behind the opening....
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

In your Corolla, is there a bunch of room on the center stack? Every one I've worked on had at least 2DIN of open space down closer to the center.

Comment

yeah there is space there, but I was planning on installing my indash pc into where that top flap is below the controls. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...iput+indash+pc

Maby I could swop them around, not a bad idea. I need to take apart my dash and have a look how difficult it would be to fabricate a screen in there - I obviously want to take the easiest route. I think i've seen a pic on this forum somewhere with a guy that had installed it in that spot, looked good but tricky, seems the norm is at the top.

here's a pic of my interior.
          Attached Files

Comment

Turbocad I was AMPED to go your route after reading your sticky I got myself keen as hell - seriously the best write up ever! u made it look extreamly doable and it was really well documented just a pity my screen turned out too big

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
              ahhh, first bit of advice, dissasemble the monitor & see how just the lcd sits behind the opening....
              i totally agree. that's what i had to do on v02 of my pc install. it was a bit cramped for my taste and application, but it may work with yours.
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

well first of all , trim the dash piece to fit, aatch bezel with epoxy, and body filler, then plant the screen

Yev
                R. T. F. M

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83348

amazing what a little looking will do...and it's only 10 posts down too.

Comment

how much work do you want to do? You could remove the entire top of the dash and cut out the area you need the extra height and reshape that portion with FG and vinyl wrap and still have a pretty factory looking part. Might even be a good opportunity to sculpt in a hood to give you screen some shade on the brighter days.
                    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

even a real pro will have a hard time doing that & keeping it looking factory, or even decent though.... that's a pretty ambishious idea, but very extreme & definatley NOT for an amature who desires decent results I'd say...

I really think this has a shot of being done from behind, with just the lcd, maybe have to dip the lower edge slightly, I'd STRONGLY advise not cutting the entire top of the dash

Comment

yeah, check out this 30 sec. photochop rendering, as the angle changes so does the height, this is the screen recessed & angled back a bit, the opening may be enough for this without any mods, & the sunlight will be no issue, this is one way factory screens are more viewable during the day, buy recessing it... the more it's recessed the more you have to worry about the sides being cut off in your view, but your opening looks wide enough to allow for this I think...
                        Attached Files

Comment

also mock it up in the car before you mount it like turbo has suggested. it may be hard to see and/or touch the edges of the screen
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

amazing what a little looking will do...and it's only 10 posts down too.
                            Amazing you didn't notice that guy installed a double DIN head unit and not a big touchscreen.

Personally I think the screen will be easier to use near the gear shifter. There's nothing behind those two pockets and fabbing would be EASY since that part's mostly flat.

If I remember correctly the gear shift bezel pries up and there's two screws at the bottom of the stack. Then you have to take the middle climate control knob off and there's a screw back there too and then that whole thing comes out.

Comment

it can be applied to his install still because he can create a surround out of foam and fiberglass in the front panel of the monitor. Hell he can even mold it in if he wants. He can use the screw holes that the OEM radio uses to secure the piece in so it won't fall out of move around. Granted it won't be easy getting to those screws because he'll have to reach up from behind the dash to get to them. Or some other sort of mounting method can be used.

Honestly i think where the HU is now is the best place for it, my friend has a rolla, and to have to look down towards the gearshifter would be awkward. I suppose you could get used to it, but I like having a monitor up high so I can still see the road out of the corner of my eye while I'm scrolling through menus.

Comment

Working...
                              X