Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob help/suggestions

So i posted in the noob area, and was directed here to start out

I haven't done any shopping yet, because I've hit a fairly large stop...

Apparently the cinter part of the dash on a 96 grand am doesn't come out seperately like you would hope.

Click for bigger

There's my dash at the moment. It looks like i'd have to take out the clip all the way around my steering column.

My other concern was not having enough room (verically) for a screen. I believe my normal headunit space is double DIN, or just smaller than that, and I have an extra inch or so i can safely cut around...Any ideas? I'll be calling around in the next day or 2 seeing if any scrap yards around here have dash's in good condition (got a bumper from one recently, so there's probably at least 1 extra dash around me) so I can see how it's clipped in and how much space I have to cut around.

if you over cut... foam is a good way to remold your dash the way you want it... i am attempting it myself right now... heres an example:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83348
    Blaz3 [|||||||||-] 88%

Comment

tecnically your head unit space is single din, Double Din is usually for mutiple disk player, dvd, and aftermater navigation systems.

not to discourage you, you can also get a single din flip-up screen that way you would not have to slice part of your dashboard.

on the picture given, the space availability is pretty small, so you might have to think where you would transplant climate control.

you can find all you need to know about screen specs, and domensions on lcd display section on the forum, they are all stickied

goodluck,

Yev
      R. T. F. M

Comment

Yea it's no so much the cutting i'm discouraged about, it's the having to take the whole dash out behind the steering column doesn't excite me. heh. I was thinking I could cut up top (depending on what was behind it when I removed it) and add like a small "hump" to the top curve for the screen. That way I wouldn't have to relocate my AC controls.

And the foam is a great idea as well. How sturdy is it when finished, and is it possible to bond it (on at least a surface level, so it's smooth) to the other part of the dash? I might go with the foam if i decide to add a hump to the upper part.

Comment

The foam is fairly sturdy on it's own. The ultimate strength of the part depends on whether you reinforce it with anything. If you're making that "hump" and you get the shape you want with the foam, then apply fiberglass to the outside you'll get your shape, and all the toughness you need. You can definitely bond it to you dash. I'd use a good construction adhesive like PL glue. It's waterproof, has excellent gap filling properties, and adheres to wood, metal, and plastic. Available at Lowe's/Home Depot.
          Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
          Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
          Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

foam is a really good idea i totally agree, that how i designed door paners, put ring, filled it up with "good stuff" foam , after it has expanded, get a knife, hot knife or wood burning tool to carve the design, then reinforce with fiberglass

Yev
            R. T. F. M

Comment

same idea, but vastly different foam. If you're trying to get a very specific shape, like causing two styling lines to meet or hold a particular dimension, RenShape is the way to go. A major issue i've had with Great Stuff is that it is not dimensionally stable. It squishes, moves, expands, and contracts unpredictably. Great Stuff for insulation, Renshape for patternmaking.

Comment

where do you buy renshape personally i think i might give it a try

Yev
                R. T. F. M

Comment

i get renshape 5025 from here:

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShapeModelingan.htm

depending on what you're doing and how you're doing it, there are denser foams too that are more like blocks of plastic, but still easier on tools, non-melting, and to a degree hand workable. Check it out and find your favorite. It is professional grade stuff, so just don't go there expecting to walk away with a whole board for $20.

Comment

Working...
                  X