Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megalo's 1st fiberglass project, kickpanels(worklog)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megalo's 1st fiberglass project, kickpanels(worklog)

After i had built my carputer decided to stage my mids. AA Poly Mids 6.5.

Flushmount baffles were made by ~Magick Man~ from caraudio.com

I know i look like Kal Penn...

WD40...a trick i learned if you get resin on carpet,you sparay it so it doesnt cure and then wipe it off

keep an eye on things while im at the computer...wireless camera FTW

screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

This scared me, you dont know what happend, after i took the pic i applied another layer of chop matte and resin it started smoking, i guess i had to much hardener i thought my car was about to ignite!

My parents have a tendancy to walk bare fotted outside...had to stop that

Baby poweder helps..so the glass doesnt stick to you and make you itchy..5% tint acts like a mirror lol

They sound great sounds way better than freeairing. running off hu right now hope to get a NINe4 soon.
    hopefully start tweeter pods next week for my pillars. these will be huge look at the tweeter size

Comment

not bad for the first timer, but i would recommend a real respirator, otherwise you will have erection problems in the future, even if you work outside.

wear longsleeve clothes, if your skin is irritant it will pay toll.

WD40 idea is pretty neat,

not sure if positioning is good, i would hate to see speaker damaged

yev
      R. T. F. M

Comment

Originally posted by Yevmeister View Post
        not bad for the first timer, but i would recommend a real respirator, otherwise you will have erection problems in the future, even if you work outside.

wear longsleeve clothes, if your skin is irritant it will pay toll.

WD40 idea is pretty neat,

not sure if positioning is good, i would hate to see speaker damaged

yev
        i wont ever kick my spkers but if the guy next to me does...its on...

and my neighbor uses fiberglass for his boat he came up to me and told me that next time i should where nylon stocking so if it sticks it will only stick to the fabric and not me. but that babypowder worked well, i had to reapply a couple times

Comment

oh is there an inexpensive respirator u can advise me with? i was about to fiberglass without a mask, but i used my 2nd judgement when i walked down a home depot aisle and that 3m mask caught my eye. i said hey why not i like to breethe

Comment

you can get away with regular 3M respirator only $25.00 in home depot/lowes

baby powder is the ****!!!!
            , when sanding googles are also recommended

Yev
            R. T. F. M

Comment

you can get away with regular 3M respirator only $25.00 in home depot/lowes

baby powder is the ****!!!!
              , when sanding googles are also recommended

Yev
              hence the glasses and not contacts...but i should have had goggles.

Comment

i dont plan to sand, just goin to carpet them

Comment

sanding is recommended, since resin extracts oils when it cures, if you don't sand it it will not adhere properly,

With the pod there right next to brake pedal, there is not much space for your left leg IMO

i am butchering my door instead

Yev
                  R. T. F. M

Comment

sanding is recommended, since resin extracts oils when it cures, if you don't sand it it will not adhere properly,

With the pod there right next to brake pedal, there is not much space for your left leg IMO

i am butchering my door instead

Yev
                    i am not that tall so it doesnt bother me to much where its at.

i guess i'll sand a little bit, i have the 3m heavy duty adhesion spray....
                    i didnt want to butcher my door on my 1st time messing with fiberglass

Comment

You should DEFINETLY not be touching any of these chemicals with attire that you would wear to the beach. A painters hooded suit or heavy sweats/sweatshirt should be a minimum man. Learn from my mistakes as well as the mistakes of many before us. Good thing you picked up a respirator as well, thats a big one too.

Furthermore, It seems like you enjoy doing this kind of stuff so I will have to let you know some key points.

1.) The mask you bought works well good thing you did take the neccessary steps in that regard.
                      2.) Fiberglass resin will damage the **** out of your nervous system.
                      3.) Many tests have been done on the effects of using fiberglass resin. These tests have been conducted by government agencies like the Dept of labor as well as many non governmental medical associations. Some of the clinical trial results were as such: on average double the likelyhood of lung cancer and copd. Also double as likely to devlop other forms of cancer and tumors.
                      4.) There have been studies done on the effects these chemicals have on our dna and studies have shown that prolonged use of this stuff will alter your dna, making it a possibility that your children will come out in some way shape or form disabled.

I know this has been a rant any nobody really likes to talk about this kinda stuff but I just feel the need to teach this part of our craft cause I dont wanna die and Im sure you dont either from what would of cost 50-60 bucks in gear for peace of mind.

Comment

don't be naive resin kills

Yev
                        R. T. F. M

Comment

another tip work with resin little at the time,

i use 3 oz dixie cups, i fill about 4 of them at a time, then add resin to each one as i work, that way you get the best use of all the material with little or no waste.

also do not brush on resin on the fiberglass matt, it will get messy

Yev
                          R. T. F. M

Comment

I went to walmart looking for the dickies overworksuit i couldnt find one. so i disregarded that as a punishment i am itchy a bit. the mask was a great thing i did i am glad i got that. and atleast i used nitrate gloves when messing with resin(latex gloves it will melt) . and brushing it on wasnt that messy..but i did use the dab effect a lot though. thanks for the input. where can i buy a full body suit with a hood? are there any disposable ones?

Comment

lol. it least you learned your lesson, you don't need to buy armor, just, shirt, hoodie, and jeans work out fine

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...440&PN=1&TPN=1

Yev
                              R. T. F. M

Comment

Working...
                              X