text on plastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• text on plastic

how do you get text onto plastic? I want to repaint a factory piece but I don't want to lose the screen printed text. Anybody know of a way to make OEM looking text?

Thanks.

stencil and paint maybe???

Or you could have it re-printed on there but thats spendy...

Comment

Post a picture of said part? You can always just make your own screen though, if you can find compatible paint, etc.
      MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
      Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

how small can those vinyl graphics guys print? maybe you can have them print out small words on white or grey vinyl with a factory looking font, and then transfer them right to your buttons?

Comment

it's done by laser etching. you paint the piece with a white basecoat and then a color top coat. then the laser will etch away the top color coat leaving you with the white text
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

well sometimes, at local audio stores, there will be a couple sheets of random words/symbols that you melt onto plastic items with an iron. for like...$10 for a few sheets.

Comment

that is pretty cool too.
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                it's done by laser etching. you paint the piece with a white basecoat and then a color top coat. then the laser will etch away the top color coat leaving you with the white text
                Have you done this? Does it require a special paint?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by SPcustoms View Post
                  how small can those vinyl graphics guys print? maybe you can have them print out small words on white or grey vinyl with a factory looking font, and then transfer them right to your buttons?
                  Actually, it'd likely be better to use the vinyl graphics guys to make a screen and then use the screen to paint the part. Otherwise, tiny vinyl parts = not much adhesive space ---> tiny letters all over the car.

At least that's what I think.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

that was what a laser etcher told me would have to be done to get the oem back lit looking buttons. we ultimately decided on a slightly different process but that should work as long as you can get the paint to stick.

here are some other options (this is from an email with my engraver):
                    Options for the back-lit buttons...

Clear Acrylic engraved with the text, or not engraved where the text should be. Best done when the buttons are cut out. (for perfect alignment)

Opaque Acrylic with the letters cut out of clear, or another color - slide in the letters and glue them in place... Cool effect... (More $ though, as multiple pieces of acrylic are cut out, and multiple colors)

Transparent Acrylic in colors, such as a Green or red, with Engraved letters on the - or engraved reversed on the back, so you can see them on the front.

Two pieces of Acrylic, front piece is clear, back piece is opaque, except where the letters are removed.

Three pieces, with the middle being a sandwich providing the letters, leaving the back flat to make mounting to the switch easier. (Although, depending on how you do it that might be a moot point.)
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

what i would do is get some small vinyl decals cut and then spray a base color of what you want your text to be, then put the stickers on, and spray a top coat or 2, then remove decals and clear.

Comment

i tried that a while ago, problem is that the font is so small it is very hard to get crisp letters
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                          i tried that a while ago, problem is that the font is so small it is very hard to get crisp letters

i would get some high quality decals and try it with a 2 or 3 stage paint. it will be thinner and then you can bury the paint lines in clear.

Comment

i tried it with a base clearcoat automitive paint. wasn't happy with the results, but maybe i'm did something wrong.

if he went the decal route, a coat of clear over it should stop it from tearing off
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                            X