Vinyl or Leather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl or Leather

i know this is probably not even the right forum to be posting on, but i figured some of you might know...

i'm looking for vinyl or leather seat kits like you can get from http://www.katzkin.com . just trying to compare prices. anyone know of any place similar? thanks.

personally i prefer vynil, you can paint it later, if you don't like the color, unlike leather, i think that leather gets hotter during the sun, and eventually it will shine, and of course it needs more care to maintain.

Vinyl comes in bigger variety of patterns and colors, and i think it's cheaper too

Yev
    R. T. F. M

Comment

Vinyl? Everytime I sit on vinyl seats on the bus it gets uncomfortable pretty quickly if it is warm. Leather breathes better (esp perforrated)

Comment

you can get preforrated Vinyl as well

Yev
        R. T. F. M

Comment

not that i've ever been wealthy enough to afford the luxury of leather in my car, but whenever I do sit in a car with leather seats, particularly the kind that has been broken in properly (as opposed to when it's brand new and still kind of stiff) i think leather is absolutely the way to go. There just isn't another material (imo) that compares with it for seating upholstery.
          Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
          Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
          Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

what is the perforation exactly? whenever i saw it on the katzkin website, it looked like rough cloth. does it look like that in real life and does it still feel like leather?

Comment

Originally posted by dodguy View Post
              what is the perforation exactly?
              perforate = "to be filled with holes; a pattern or series of holes; pierced through"

Comment

I personally think that vinyl is a cheaper and just as effective solution as leather. Sometimes you have think of it in these perspectives: which would you rather replace, leather or vinyl? If you have the cash, then go with leather. But as was stated earlier, vinyl can be painted. Vinyl quite often stands up to moisture better then leather and if cared for properly, can last about as long as leather. Just my $.02 as well.
                Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

but will the paint start cracking and rubbing off from all the flexing? do you need a special kind of paint or dye?

Comment

The paint is more like a dye then actual paint. As long as you don't go overboard on the dye, it won't crack/peel. Essentially you can only dye light colored vinyl to a darker color to better match your interior. You can't go the other way around. Your best bet is to get ahold of a color that closely matches your end product and then go daker from there to get it looking a close to OEM as possible. Hope this helps.
                    Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

leather is to vinyl, what diamonds are to cubic zirconias, or what mink is to synthetic... leather is the real thing, vinyl is fake leather

leather is the real deal, much more durable & better wearing... most less expensive leather seats are vinyl on the sides & non wear areas, deluxe are leather all around

katzkin is definatley at the top of this game, & there are a ton of options to custom design your interior... I did a 2 tone with perferated inserts & a gm licenced logo embroadery in my car from katzkin, which they actually charge an aditional royalty fee to do this for gm licencing for the embroidery

a search for leather kits should give a bunch of alternatives, but in the end you get what you pay for... vinyl is fake leather
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                      X