Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible, raisable, swing-arm thingy?

Here is the front interior of my new Toyota Prius:

I want to install an 8" (Lilliput or Xenarc probably) touch-screen monitor on some sort of flexible, raisable, swing-arm thingy that would be bolted either horizontally to the hump in the center of the floor or vertically to the big gray ABS plastic piece that you see stretching from the bottom of the radio to the floor hump.

Any suggestions on what I might be able to use to make this work? I was thinking some sort of flexible pipe or erector-set-style metal arm. The key would be something that allowed the monitor to be lowered almost to the floor when not in use, and raised to be in front of the radio for viewing from the front and back seats.

I'm not mechanically or design-inclined, but that's what I'm after, so any advice would be appreciated on what kind of device or material I might use for such a monitor arm in my car. Thanks.

i really should just keep this thing in the clip board...

anyway, parts express, 40 bucks shipped.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=205-625
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
    Pictures
    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Hey thanks man, that's pretty much what I was looking for. But does it let you lower the screen out of the way? In other words is it sort of collapsable/telescoping, or is your only choice to bend it down and swing it out of the way?

Comment

I saw seanz0rz's swing arm in person.
        It only swings and bends; it does not telescope inwards.

If I had your car, I would so mold the screen where the conventional in-dash-gauges go. Right behind the steering wheel.
        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

Interesting idea to mount it behind the steering wheel, but that'd be kinda selfish -- giving me the drive a front-row seat to wacth movies/videos, but wouldn't be too viewable for my passengers or while stretching out in back with all the seats down. I'm thinking the flexible arm he showed might allow me to sort of bend the monitor down out of the way.

Comment

That's a really odd dash. Are your climate controls in the shiny black part above that pocket?

Comment

climate controls and most everything else is via the mulit-function display (MFD) computer/montor you see above the radio. It is a touch screen that allows you to control many functions.

Comment

What about just mounting it under the dash with hinges to fold it back out of the way?

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz View Post

i really should just keep this thing in the clip board...

anyway, parts express, 40 bucks shipped.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=205-625
                  This is almost exactly like what I have, although i bought mine off ebay and it's a 36 incher, it's really great as it swings and bends, better than in dash to me because of the movement and placement with security benefits also.

Comment

yea, bounces more than a lowrider tho...

im going to build a fixed mount out of square tube steel (1/2 inch, 1/16 wall maybe?)
                    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                    Pictures
                    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz View Post
                      yea, bounces more than a lowrider tho...

im going to build a fixed mount out of square tube steel (1/2 inch, 1/16 wall maybe?)
                      You mean the goose neck swings back and forth? Mine is real stiff, doesn't move unless you really put some force into it

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK View Post

If I had your car, I would so mold the screen where the conventional in-dash-gauges go. Right behind the steering wheel.
                        i would do something similar but move the oem screen to the area behind the steering wheel and then put your touchscreen where the oem is.
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanZ View Post
                          You mean the goose neck swings back and forth? Mine is real stiff, doesn't move unless you really put some force into it
                          I need one of these, but don't want the sway. Do you remember the guys username on ebay, I searched and didn't find any.

I almost bought the Parts express one, but i'm putting a 10.2 Xenarc on it and afraid it will swing around, did you come up with a fix for the 19 inch one??

Thanks
                          2002 Jetta Tdi
                          VIA EPIA MII-12000
                          512 DDR
                          250 gig Hd
                          Usb Earthmate Gps
                          Usb Linksys Bluetooth w/ext ant
                          4 port usb hub
                          2.5 dvd-cd
                          Gyration Usb Wireless Keyboard/mouse
                          Ps2 mini keyboard
                          Xenarac 10.2" LCD
                          Pcmcia Senao wifi 200mw w/dual ant's.

Comment

Originally posted by Greasyrider View Post
                            I need one of these, but don't want the sway. Do you remember the guys username on ebay, I searched and didn't find any.

I almost bought the Parts express one, but i'm putting a 10.2 Xenarc on it and afraid it will swing around, did you come up with a fix for the 19 inch one??

Thanks
                            This is the one http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Gooseneck-Mou...QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, only problem is that if you want to tuck your wires into the loom, it's gonna be really hard. What i did to solve this is cut it open, take out the loom, put in a bigger loom that i got from microcenter for 4-8 bucks and put my lcd wires in there which looks much better IMHO.
                            Again this one doesn't swing easily, you have to much alot of force into it.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanZ View Post
                              mine flexes at the mounting point. when you have 18 inches of a lever with a screen on the end of it, it sways on the bumps on the freeway.

as for off road, i dunno usually i dont touch the damn thing and im moving all over the place too much to notice if the screen is.
                              Pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X