help with MDF fabrication please....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with MDF fabrication please....

heres my problem: i have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT and am trying to make MDF speaker rings to replace the plastic.

now i have 3 options ive thought of. first option is use MDF and build that it up to the correct height, then cut and sand it to the correct angle and dimensions. Option 2 is build up MDF to that thickness, but leave it flat then when the speaker is mounted have it flush with the plastic door molding, once thats done cut a hole in the plastic molding and use the speaker grilles to cover the hole in the door so all you see is the speaker grills. option 3 is to make circular rings and glue em together vertically, then make a bigger MDF ring that fits ouside the smaller rings at an angle (kinda worried about the integrity of this option though)

btw its about 3 inches, 1.75 above the flat part, and 1.25 below it, and i got 1/2 inch MDF board for these (gonna use 3/4 for sub)
    Attached Files

If I were you I wouldnt waste time building that up with mdf, Id just go ahead and bang it out with fiberglass. Can I see pictures of the door panel/kickpanel where the piece is going as well as the gutted frame of where its going. I may be able to help more with those pics. Thanks

Comment

i thought about glassin it also... i just like the MDF
      Attached Files

Comment

Build a flat ring out of MDF, then either build some other rings, cut them in half - then use a band saw/table saw to cut them at angle. You end up with angle circular wedges. Use woodglue, screws to laminate it together. Pretty simple.

Comment

thats what i basically was thinkin with the 1st option

unfortunately i dont have many power tools atm... mainly hand power tools so its a little harder to do an angle....

i might be able to get some other power tools that will help in a day or 2 but as of now i dont have the ability to do that

Comment

Just cut the main rings then....use some wood blocks of various sizes to get the right angles. And glass it all together. Really I don't see you have many other options if you want it on an angle.

You should really look at buying a jigsaw, only like 40-50 bucks for a reasonable one. You could cut accurate enough angles with it if you are careful, and sand down any imperfections.

Comment

Why don't you just use that thing?

Comment

b/c plastic isnt very rigid

at least not that plastic.... and i dont want any vibrations transferred to the frame, or any other negatives b/c the plastic is not very rigid....

i will prolly use that piece until i can get an actual enclosure for it...

where are jigsaws for $40-50?

Comment

Try Homdepot. Their low end models will be sub 50 bucks.

Comment

Don't buy a cheap jigsaw. I think Bosch has a 6.5A jigsaw for $100 or so and it's got manual scroll control and a light. There's one model that Bosch has that uses the motor's fan to blow chips out of the way too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                      Don't buy a cheap jigsaw. I think Bosch has a 6.5A jigsaw for $100 or so and it's got manual scroll control and a light. There's one model that Bosch has that uses the motor's fan to blow chips out of the way too.
                      i have the $25 black and decker and ive put it through hell, ive cut .250" hardened aluminum with it and it still runs like a champ. I got it at the depot.

Comment

maybe after this paycheck (or with b-day money hahaha)

i still have to check to see if i can borrow my stepdads miter saw (also cuts at up to 45 degree angles), along with belt sander, and router (with a circle jig to cut it out) that way i can just get it done cheap lol

maybe ill buy a scroll saw next month or sumthin haha

Comment

after seeing the door frame, I stand by my original post. You will get a much better fit and finish with composites..

Comment

thats what im thinking too... gonna pick some glass and resin up prolly friday before class in the morning then come home and glass those...

now while were on this subject, my A-Pillars. i can think of 2 options, first is fiberglass new A-pillars (all glass) and then custom mount tweets in the fiberglass, second option would be hit up a junkyard and see about getting some old A-pillars off a junked neon and putting holes into that for the tweets

i personally think the fiberglass will work better since i can custom create the tweet mounting spots, but the junkyard option would look more OEM when done (well at least until i sanded/primed/painted the glass lol)... also i cant figure out howto mount them (i will post pics of them tomorrow so you can see what im talking about)

Comment

If some downtime on your a-pillars doesnt bother you, I dont see why you need to waste money on a 2nd set. Furthermore you are right on the money imho about the glass on the pillars. The best way to get it done is to route out some mdf for the tweeter rings. Then support them to the a pillar with dowel rods, stretch material over the a pillar, staple and glue it down. glass that and sand prime paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X