My first carPC project with microATX mobo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first carPC project with microATX mobo

Hi folks. So finaly started my first car project and finaly registered with mp3car.com, so i'm newby.
    Spec:
    microATX m/b, 1.0GHz Celeron in diy alluminium case
    512 SDRAM
    M2-ATX PSU
    USB Bluetooth
    USB WIFI
    4 x USB2.0 pci
    1 right hand PCI riser card
    7" 16:9 touth screen
    Waiting some parts to arrive next week.
    Attached Files

nice case. Saved yourself a bit of money and it serve all the right purposes. Keep us up to date with the rest of your install.

Comment

out of curiousity what is that grey cable / connector to the right of the motherboard for?
      REBUILDING!!

Comment

the case is nice indeed, question is about powering solutions

Yev
        R. T. F. M

Comment

Well that lead is for reset and power button as i donít like the idea of switching PC on/off automatically. I will try auto but donít think I will like it.

As for the case I found Maplin selling them under £10.
          The case is 300x250x50mm.

I will use M2-ATX 160W power supply which fits nicely near m/b. I have measured how much power the computer draws from mains and with BT, 5.25" DVD, 40Gb HDD it was taking ~130Watts. I will scrap that dvd cause I will have a wifi for downloads from my main computer.

Now, some of the people here are making amazing bezels for LCDs. I want that too. Have to figure out where in my tiny saxo .

Any way last night made some adjustments in case. I have placed 2 grills for the air to come out.

Any one knows how to paint aluminium?

Thanx for replays...
          Attached Files

Comment

uhmmm same as you paint anything else.
            Start out with a coarser sand paper ~200ish grit
            sand until all of the previous paint / glossy coating is removed
            then sand with finer sandpaper until its rather smooth
            then prime and wet sand with higher grit like ~800ish
            prime again and wet sand again
            then paint i use rustoleum paint for metal) (not sure if its available where your at)
            then wet sand with 800 grit, then paint again
            then clear coat if you want.
            REBUILDING!!

Comment

if u want a good finish on aluminium you will need an etch primer. aluminium isn't really the same as any other metal.
              2005 Nissan Xtrail
              DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

you could get it anodised

Comment

if u want a good finish on aluminium you will need an etch primer. aluminium isn't really the same as any other metal.
                  Its how I painted my aluminum case, and it worked perfectly. I'd post pictures of it, but it got scratched to hell during the process of installing and removing it about a hundred times.

you could get in anodised
                  considering he made his case himself for less than 10 pounds, im guessing he would'nt want to pay more than that to get it painted.
                  REBUILDING!!

Comment

Hi,

Yea, that was a stupid idea to paint it Dragonknell911 as i got it for 8£. Basicaly PC will sit behind front bezel and will be hidden.
                    Well, i have got bits to mount lcd and DVD in front bezel. Manual on http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36970. Bought panel for 8 quid and DVD for free It was'nt working so fixed it Dont ask how i did that, dont have a clue

Still waiting on my bits to arrive (LCD,PSU,Riser card).
                    Attached Files

Comment

...continued

the problem i have is that the PC wont boot with riser card (the firs one works fine). CPU coolet turns half round and thats it, dead.
                      Those cards suposed to be identical, just facing diferent directions, but i have noticed that on the card which isnt working pins are diferent.

Any suggestions?
                      Is there any way to fix that?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911 View Post
                        uhmmm same as you paint anything else.
                        Start out with a coarser sand paper ~200ish grit
                        sand until all of the previous paint / glossy coating is removed
                        then sand with finer sandpaper until its rather smooth
                        then prime and wet sand with higher grit like ~800ish
                        prime again and wet sand again
                        then paint i use rustoleum paint for metal) (not sure if its available where your at)
                        then wet sand with 800 grit, then paint again
                        then clear coat if you want.
                        just an fyi. rustoleum top coat paints aren't anything special, just a good quality paint. the key to rustoleum's rust protection is in the primers, but you have aluminum so you don't have to worry about that. anyways, if you want a color that rustoleum doesn't have, don't be put off by using other brands of spray paint. If you want a truly tough finish though, look into 'hammerite'
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

just an fyi. rustoleum top coat paints aren't anything special, just a good quality paint. the key to rustoleum's rust protection is in the primers, but you have aluminum so you don't have to worry about that. anyways, if you want a color that rustoleum doesn't have, don't be put off by using other brands of spray paint. If you want a truly tough finish though, look into 'hammerite'
                          Yeah I hadn't really bothered to look at any other type of paints because Home Depot (the only supply store local to where I am) carries it. That and I normally only buy black paint and light colored primer =)

Thanks for the info though
                          REBUILDING!!

Comment

project continues...

So i have got all the bits and pieces together. Mounted PSU, added aditional connections for 12V in for PSU and 12V out from molex for LCD as i found in some topic that it is beter to connect lcd from PSU. So it works Yeaaaaa it works nice. It works with no problems even when i start the car. Some photos of my PC. (not painted yet ):
                            Attached Files

Comment

well finaly fabrication the first time in my life

So i read few threads on how to make bezels. Started to put all the things together with the help of epoxy. I needed to glue LCD frame which came with the LCD, 3 buttons for hazard lights, rear window heating and PC power swich which i like most, looks as a nitro . yesterday have glued the frame, today buttons and 1 usb for easy access
                              Photos:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X