Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Compucarve

Hey all,

Received a flyer for the Sears Compucarve in the mail today...it's basically a $1799 CNC cutting machine for home use. A quick search of the forums didn't turn up any mention of it, so I thought I'd post a link to the manafacturers here:

http://www.carvewright.com/

(Sears is now marketing the machine under the Craftsman brand name).

Looks like a fantastic way of producing custom bezels...the machine can work with polycarbonate and acrylic and can cut materials up to 14" wide, 5" thick, and of unlimited length to a maximum depth of 1" with a precision of .006" (which is about .15mm). Design software is included that allows custom 3D design.

Opinions?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

can i use solid works with it....???

looks pretty cool, and 1800 isnt bad.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
    Pictures
    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz View Post

Straight from the FAQ off that website:

Can I import files from other CAD packages?
      Currently the software can only import standard graphics files. Advanced versions of the software will have the ability to import other file types.

Can the machine use G-Code programs?
      The software cannot import or export in G-code presently. Advanced versions of the software will have the ability to import and export G-code.

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz View Post

I figured that lack of Solid works support would be an issue for you people. :-) Maybe the "advanced" version of the software won't be an expensive upgrade...

Comment

If you have the skills, a machine like this isn't hard to make. I'm currently building a CNC router which runs off G-code (Solidworks, etc supported ).
          The beauty of it is you could make it for under $1000AU easily.
          I think I have spent about $500AU on mine.

check out www.cnczone.com about DIY.
          2004 Ford Falcon XR6

Comment

Originally posted by bob^ View Post
            If you have the skills, a machine like this isn't hard to make. I'm currently building a CNC router which runs off G-code (Solidworks, etc supported ).
            The beauty of it is you could make it for under $1000AU easily.
            I think I have spent about $500AU on mine.

check out www.cnczone.com about DIY.
            So...I just throw some industrial strength stepper motors, a high strength, accurate frame, a nice, robust power supply, and a high speed data interface in a box, shake it up, and out comes my very own CNC machine?

Great! ;-)

Comment

I'll break it down
              Stepper motors 2 x $80AUS, 1xfree
              Circuitry / Powersupply - $250AUS
              Ball screws - 1 x $140AUS, 1 x $60AUS, 1 x free
              Bearings $89AUS
              Router - $90AUS
              Material - Free

Yeah it's nothing like that one in the link, but it'll have the accuracy to do circuit boards(my main intention) aswell as craft bits out of MDF.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling your post is mocking me. DIY CNC machines arn't science. It's simple fabrication. Accurate fabrication.
              That forum link I posted is proof.
              2004 Ford Falcon XR6

Comment

Originally posted by bob^ View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling your post is mocking me. DIY CNC machines arn't science. It's simple fabrication. Accurate fabrication.
                That forum link I posted is proof.
                Caught red-handed! I was most certainly mocking your post, but only because you were so nonchalant about building a relatively complex machine like a CNC router...something that I certainly don't have the knowledge or resources to accomplish.

The forum that you linked seems to be the equivalent to mp3car.com for building a DIY CNC router...the internet is amazing in its ability to connect people with similar interests!

Good luck with your project. :-)

Comment

I will agree with the last post in stating that this thing looks to be like something on par with some of the diy kits Ive seen online

Comment

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
                    Caught red-handed! I was most certainly mocking your post, but only because you were so nonchalant about building a relatively complex machine like a CNC router...something that I certainly don't have the knowledge or resources to accomplish.

The forum that you linked seems to be the equivalent to mp3car.com for building a DIY CNC router...the internet is amazing in its ability to connect people with similar interests!

Good luck with your project. :-)
                    I guess you must have missed the bit where i said IF YOU HAVE THE SKILLS.
                    Ignorance at it's finest...

Oh and lots of people have had success making the frames from something simple like MDF
                    2004 Ford Falcon XR6

Comment

I know a guy that makes and sells kits for a machine with a much higher resolution (I think 36 x 48 x 6) for about $500. You'd just need to supply your own steppers, screwleads, router, and drivers. You could come out easily under the cost of that Craftsman thing and have MUCH better control over it. Also, you could use it to build a better one if you ever decided to upgrade. If anybody's interested, I can check with him on updated prices.

Comment

how 'bout running it off AutoCad?

I'd like to get one for tile molds- Moroccan/algerian/arabesque do a new(vo) update on old laguna-style tiles, very tedious to plasterwork a good repertoire - like out of Racinets History of dia-per ornament. (all of them) probably a bit ambitious - that and slump-molds for glass & frit fusing, maybe even market the molds themselves.
                        I am interested in plasma 'plotter-cutters' as well & notice plasma equip is slowly getting cheaper. can get a CNC-plasma for about the same price, can't remember where right now but can look for it if anyone's interested. Thanks for the DIY link- not sure if I have the patience to DIY it tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunoleschi View Post
                          I'd like to get one for tile molds- Moroccan/algerian/arabesque do a new(vo) update on old laguna-style tiles, very tedious to plasterwork a good repertoire - like out of Racinets History of dia-per ornament. (all of them) probably a bit ambitious - that and slump-molds for glass & frit fusing, maybe even market the molds themselves.
                          I am interested in plasma 'plotter-cutters' as well & notice plasma equip is slowly getting cheaper. can get a CNC-plasma for about the same price, can't remember where right now but can look for it if anyone's interested. Thanks for the DIY link- not sure if I have the patience to DIY it tho.
                          Ummm...this is a car PC forum..doubt you ll find much tile work around here...

Comment

Working...
                          X