Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bondo?

Hey guys,

I've started altering my dash board to house my touchscreen. I've got as far as cutting a hole where it will go but now I need to get some filler in the holes to secure the bezel!

Having read around the forums Bondo seems the obvious choice but I can't seem to find it here in the UK anywhere! What exactly is it? Anyone know of other brands?

Am I right in thinking its the stuff to fill the gaps with (and then sand it like hell til the shapes right?)

Andy
    -------------------------
    What's that burning smell?

Originally posted by a-ten View Post
    Hey guys,

I've started altering my dash board to house my touchscreen. I've got as far as cutting a hole where it will go but now I need to get some filler in the holes to secure the bezel!

Having read around the forums Bondo seems the obvious choice but I can't seem to find it here in the UK anywhere! What exactly is it? Anyone know of other brands?

Am I right in thinking its the stuff to fill the gaps with (and then sand it like hell til the shapes right?)

Andy
    Bondo is just a brand of body filler. They have many different types to use. The best for that would be Bondo-Glass (bodyfiller w/ short-hair fiberglass) to build up the bezel (stronger and won't crack), once that's done finish off with regular bondo (plain bodyfiller, easyier to work with for filling in and making smooth works of art) and work from there. The UK guys would know better as to what the body filler over there is called. Check out TurboCads work too, he's got a nice faq type post on building a bezel.

Cheers,
    The W3bMa5t3r

Comment

OK, I've read TurboCads tutorial, its very helpful. However, he says to use Dynatron which seems to be a product range.

Can anyone suggest what it is I need from this list? I imagine its one of the fillers a litte down the page.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by a-ten View Post
        OK, I've read TurboCads tutorial, its very helpful. However, he says to use Dynatron which seems to be a product range.

Can anyone suggest what it is I need from this list? I imagine its one of the fillers a litte down the page.

Andy
        Looks like Dyna-Glass is the same things (or similar) to the bondo-glass, and then for the regular body filler... either the filler-light weight or filler-premium.. the putty could be used as a final layer to finish it off nicer...

Comment

Dyna-glass is used by a LOT of fabricators. It's got more fibers in it than bondo-glass.

Comment

I actually had to do a lot of body work on my car after buying it due to dents and such. Something with fyber class will work a lot better than reg. bondo on a project like this. Bondo is basicly the same stuff you put on your drywall to fill in small holes in in a house.. just a little tougher. But something with fyber glass in it will be a lot more firm and strong. Wont chip away or anything. Make sure it's got something to hold onto.
            To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Comment

Forget Bondo, cause it's clay based filler => due to weather temperature drops it will shrink, your best bet is kitty hair=> short fiberglass strand filler.

I suggest using Evecoat products

Yev
              R. T. F. M

Comment

Where's fiberglass Matt? I haven't seen him around in a while.

Comment

anyone know a similar product to the ones being mentioned that are available in Australia...perticularly Melbourne...Thanks guys

Comment

So what I need is a short fiber body filler? Preferably not putty based?

Andy

Comment

^^ exactly...but what i would recommend you do before you start working on that is securing it to the dash panel first with some sort of epoxy, just to get rid of the duct tape you have there. That way you have room to work with.

So start off with Epoxy, mount it in place with a small bead of epoxy, then add the kittyhair(or whatever you're buying) and then sand, then apply a top layer (this is the putty based stuff, body filler, etc etc) and sand till smooth. Apply filler putty if needed to fill holes, then sand once again and paint

Comment

use epoxy first to fill in the bulk of it. I wouldnt use kitty hair. Just fill in as much as possible with epoxy. it'll be easier to work with, you can then layer up kitty hair or evercoat lightweight filler. and not worry about it shrinking/cracking
                        Car : 00' Chrysler 300M
                        Speakers : Rainbow Audio SLC 265 | Subs : Diamond Audio D6 12" Subs X2
                        Amp's : Hifonics ZXi 6006 AB | Hifonics BXi 1606 D
                        CarPC: HP Laptop AMD Sempron 3000+ | 1.5GB RAM | DVD+RW | 80GB 5400RPM HD | ATI R200 Video

Comment

Yev
                          R. T. F. M

Comment

Bondo when used right, really doesn't crack or expand. I've had my dash covered in bondo for two years and it hasn't yet.

As for epoxy be easier to work with, i'll second that
                            REBUILDING!!

Comment

epoxy

So anyone got a brand of epoxy you would recommend?
                              03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
                              Carputer Planning |---------*|
                              Overall Implementation |---------*-|
                              (Stereo complete)
                              Computer installed and working

Comment

Working...
                              X