Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to mount an amp to a rear seat? Security in mind...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mount an amp to a rear seat? Security in mind...

Hey guys, i have a problem and I searched and couldn't find a real helpful solution...

Problem: The rear seat of my integra has pretty flimsy sheat metal and blank spots (where there isn't metal at all). Also there is a very limited space where I can mount the amp (upper right corner, drivers side rear) because everywhere else will hit some part of the interior.

I have already installed my amp in the behind the rear seat, 3 of 4 screws felt like they held tight + I added special glue but I came to find out today that all of them fell right out and so did the amp. The screws that i'm using are flat ended special security torx screws, the reasoning for this was to slow down thieves.

Solution? What do you guys suggest to hold up the amp with these screws? Or to hold up the amp with security in mind?

I can't just put wood in the back as the a thief can just unscrew the wood (philips screws)...

Thanks!

I know it means alot of work and is no use if your spair is in the boot but have you thought about making a 'fake' floor out of carpeted MDF. Would probley be the best way of hinding it aswell.

Hope this helps.....good luck.
    Come on Peugeot....I want to fill you with noise!

Comment

Originally posted by sheepy View Post
      I know it means alot of work and is no use if your spair is in the boot but have you thought about making a 'fake' floor out of carpeted MDF. Would probley be the best way of hinding it aswell.

Hope this helps.....good luck.
      Yeah i thought about that but since i've already mounted everything in the rear seat with the correct wire lengths and i do have a spare, i couldn't do it. I don't want to extend the 4 ga wires and all the others (mind you this is a 5.1 amp = alot of extensions lol) so no go...also I rather have it hard to steal than to hide although both are preferable in other cases.

Comment

well you can also do some build around the seat, with the sheet metal and carpeting. also see how deep can you chop in, and the maybe it will just gou out 2-3 inches, make a frame out of pine, (don't go with mdf since it's thin construction it would break), it would also be lighter if you go with pine.

then take a sheetmetal, if you can't affor that do with thicker acrylic sheet, attach it to the wood frame skeleton, carpet it

you set

Yev
        R. T. F. M

Comment

and yeah por extra protection use some weird metric bolts, and screws.

and of course amatuer don't steal, (they break) professionals do

Yev
          R. T. F. M

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanZ View Post

I have already installed my amp in the behind the rear seat, 3 of 4 screws felt like they held tight + I added special glue but I came to find out today that all of them fell right out and so did the amp. The screws that i'm using are flat ended special security torx screws, the reasoning for this was to slow down thieves.
            Those nuts/screws fell down (back out) because you didn't use locking washers.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post
              Those nuts/screws fell down (back out) because you didn't use locking washers.
              Are you saying to put locking washers in the back of the sheet metal ? If so thats really hard to do... or are u saying to just put locking washers on the screw

Comment

Are you saying to put locking washers in the back of the sheet metal ? If so thats really hard to do... or are u saying to just put locking washers on the screw
                Really, I don't know how to explain it.
                If you use screw and screw it into sheet metal, you put a locking washer on the screw before screw into the metal. The washer prevent the screw from backing out.
                If you use nuts and bolds. The washer shoud go before the nut.

This site explain better http://myword.info/sendword.php?lock_washer_1-a
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

something I have found easy to do. Find the nut you are going to use. Mount it to the inside of the metal from the back seat and use structuring solder on it to seal it to the seat. Then mount and bolt. DONE.

1996 Accord Ex Carputer

Soon to come 2008 WRX 5-door Mac-carputer.

Comment

Or go to home depot or someplace. Find those holdsters that you insert into a hole then screw a screw into it that causes the other side to expand keeping it from backing out.

1996 Accord Ex Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by AznRida View Post
                      Or go to home depot or someplace. Find those holdsters that you insert into a hole then screw a screw into it that causes the other side to expand keeping it from backing out.
                      yes this is what i was thinking but i'm not sure if it's gonna fit my screw, i'll try it out

Comment

i'd just weld a piece of 1x1 tubing to the seat frame where you want to mount the amp, then drill and tap it. between your security screws and some red loctite, that baby won't come out.
                        Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                        Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                        Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your advice, I went down to get some screws at a local hardware shop that was very keen on their hardware. I was trying to get some nuts and other suggestions that you guys offered....but they gave me some advice and some sheet metal screws that use a very special bit to come out, mind you i have 100 special bits that opens almost everything in sight, but i didn't have this one. The screws costs 1.05 a piece and i bought those and installed them. Hard to put it in and impossible to take it out without the bit. And it's very secure (the amp).

Now theives have 2 ways of taking them out. Either take out the seat or pry bar the amp

All is well, i'm trying to stall them the best i can

Comment

Thanks guys for all your advice, I went down to get some screws at a local hardware shop that was very keen on their hardware. I was trying to get some nuts and other suggestions that you guys offered....but they gave me some advice and some sheet metal screws that use a very special bit to come out, mind you i have 100 special bits that opens almost everything in sight, but i didn't have this one. The screws costs 1.05 a piece and i bought those and installed them. Hard to put it in and impossible to take it out without the bit. And it's very secure (the amp).

Now theives have 2 ways of taking them out. Either take out the seat or pry bar the amp

Can ya take a picture of the bit or something. I could use some random screws lol. I've seen some pretty ****ed up ones but they are pretty common now. I just got my new amp and my computer yesterday! so I can start my major install time (Newegg forgot to send the processor!!!!). I'm mad at them. Maybe they'll bribe me it for free.

1996 Accord Ex Carputer

Comment

If you go around Santa Ana, theives has a 3rd option: take your car with the included amps
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Working...
                              X