X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabricating buttons on a bezel.. need help

Hello elite group..

I need some help from experts here.

I am planning a CarPC setup. Now.. I found almost everything i needed on this site.. thanks to you all..

I have found sources of all (well... almost all) the materials required for fabricating/fitting a bezel on my dash. My dash has 1 DIN opening, but it has a useless coin tray under opening so removing tray and old HU will release enough space for a 7-8 inch screen.

My problem is:
    I need to mount 7 buttons on the bezel below my touchscreen. (minimum 3, 7 is good, extra 2-3 wont hurt, but are unplanned)

I figured I can disect a gamepad to find connection between switches and PC and use custom software to control responses for the buttons. I need to mount these switches on the bezel itself below the screen!

There's one thing I couldn't find. How to fabricate custom buttons on a bezel?

I can fabricate a bezel, but getting good finish on buttons seems to be hereculian task to me. Also, There needs to be some printing (white on black) on or below the buttons which must glow-in-the-dark.. hope you all get the picture.

Printing will preferably be below the buttons (on the bezel surface). Since bezel below the buttons will not be intentionally touched with pressure often, printing should have longer life.

Help me out please. Any links and information posted here will be highly appreciated.

Thank you
    -GPS

maybe you could buy the button from radio shack or someplace like that.

possibly try frozencpu.com they have some cool looking buttons.

all u need to do then is drill a hole pop the button in secure it and ur good to go.

Comment

@Evilbunny1114
      Thanks for the help.. But thats not what I am looking for. Backlit illumination is required, but with a factory look, and characters printed on the bezel should glow.
      Like the controls provided on your car.. they have symbols printed, and they are backlit at night..
      -GPS

Comment

for making those kind of controls, I would first suggest designing a circuit board that locates each button in an explicit location so you don't have to install 10 buttons one at a time, rather you can just snap/screw in the board and be done with it. Next to each microswitch, you should plan on an SMD LED for your back illumination. Now for the switch covers themselves it depends on the feel you want. I imagine you could create a soft button matrix with a white or translucent urethane, or you could make hard buttons with resin individually and fix them to the switch actuators with a spot of glue. Either way you'll probably need to make a tool for forming the buttons.

as long as i'm brainstorming, I'll submit another idea i've had which is to cast your whole bezel in translucent plastic, use rub-on transfers as masks, and then use a paint that won't dissolve in a solvent that WILL remove the transfers. You could use capactive touch switches instead of tactile switches to keep the surface pristine when not in use. That idea is rather half-baked at this point, but might warrant further investigation. What do you think?
        Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
        Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
        Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
          for making those kind of controls, I would first suggest designing a circuit board that locates each button in an explicit location so you don't have to install 10 buttons one at a time, rather you can just snap/screw in the board and be done with it. Next to each microswitch, you should plan on an SMD LED for your back illumination. Now for the switch covers themselves it depends on the feel you want. I imagine you could create a soft button matrix with a white or translucent urethane, or you could make hard buttons with resin individually and fix them to the switch actuators with a spot of glue. Either way you'll probably need to make a tool for forming the buttons.

as long as i'm brainstorming, I'll submit another idea i've had which is to cast your whole bezel in translucent plastic, use rub-on transfers as masks, and then use a paint that won't dissolve in a solvent that WILL remove the transfers. You could use capactive touch switches instead of tactile switches to keep the surface pristine when not in use. That idea is rather half-baked at this point, but might warrant further investigation. What do you think?

I'd love this idea..

Comment

may i ask why not just use remote?

Comment

I was just looking at this article a couple days ago and I think it may help you:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/x...0LED%20Mod.htm

They are adding lights to XBox controller buttons- Might be able to use these ideas for your own buttons.
              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

http://modasylum.com/content.php?nam...TTON_INTERFACE

might help, this is what i using for mine. will probably make a wired remote though.
                1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                Pictures
                Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Wish you all a very happy new year.

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post

Thanks.. That sounds great.

Now lets get back to basics. I am very comfortable with all kinds of electronics.. so PCB, LEDs and (to some extent) SMDs are not a problem. I guess I'll have sufficient room to use full size LEDs behind the bezel for backlit illumination.

The issue is transparency.. as you have figured out. How do we achieve this? I have earlier worked with a epoxy resin (for some other works, not fabrication), which seemed to be a bit translucent, but I am not sure if it will handle extreme weathers (temperatures and humidity) very well. It can be easily formed, and sanded. If you have any other specific material in mind, please bring to my notice.

Whats a rub-on transfer? I have a vague idea.. but.. if I put paint over transfered image, and paint does not dissolve in solvent, How will translucent base be exposed to light? Lets bake your idea.. this seems to be a promising start

Thank you all for help..

-GPS

Comment

check out this thread:
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=etch

i'm doing exactly what you're trying to do, here is a picture of the laser cut blank for the buttons:

now i'm just waiting on the slow *** laser guy to cut my back lit buttons
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

@scott..

I knew someone must have tried doing something like this here... I love this site

I am eagerly waiting for you to post pics of lasered bezel... I hope I'll find it in your thread

Now.. I have to search for someone to do something like that for me (believe me... its gonna be real hard finding someone like that in india)... or maybe figure a way out to do something like that myself!

BTW how much did it cost?

-GPS

Comment

i'd start at www.alumilite.com and look into water-clear casting plastics and associated dyes. That covers getting a transmissive plastic part. Now, masking... as i mentioned, half baked so we should probably rethink that... or at least test it. I was thinking if you could just get the tiniest bit of solvent under the mask, then it would pop off, despite being coated in paint. Obviously, the least possible amount of paint to do the job is ideal here. Well.. i'll keep pondering it.
                        Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                        Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                        Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by gps View Post
                          I knew someone must have tried doing something like this here... I love this site

I am eagerly waiting for you to post pics of lasered bezel... I hope I'll find it in your thread

Now.. I have to search for someone to do something like that for me (believe me... its gonna be real hard finding someone like that in india)... or maybe figure a way out to do something like that myself!

BTW how much did it cost?

-GPS
                          to tell you the truth the guy that is doing the work for me is a pain in the ***..it's been taking months for him to get me what i had gotten. As far as cost i'm guessing its going to be around $100-$120 if he ever produces the buttons. i have another idea if i can't get this done by him. They'll be backlit buttons but not tactile. let me know if you're interested in that and i'll write up how i plan on doing it and maybe it'll be up your alley
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

i found a quick write up that i did a while back:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=button

that is going to be my back up plan if these things aren't here in a week or two.
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

the guy just got back to me and though he sent it to me, i guess that was the hold up... since he didn't i asked him if he was willing to take on another project. i'll get back to you if he can help you out
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X