Best adhesive for bonding ABS to ABS.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best adhesive for bonding ABS to ABS.

Ive been searching for 2 days on the best adhesives but can not find anything. Thats why I decided to ask the people on here who have had experience with ABS to ABS adhesion.

I found this stuff made by UHU called "Airplane Glue" used to glue plastics. This stuff also slightly melts to plastics together and provides adhesion. I do not know the reputation of this stuff but would like to try it out. Is there better solutions out there?

The best glue for ABS, is ABS. It's stable enough that if you were to melt it and combine it with the other ABS piece that it will form together. I saw on the board someone who melted lego pieces and used that as the adhesive. But as a product that can be readily bought, the stuff you're talking about should be good enough.

Comment

You can usually buy "plastic welder" at hardware/home improvement stores, it's basically an epoxy with strong solvent in it, comes in a twin-tube syringe just like most epoxies. It lists ABS on the materials it supports.

guizai is right, if you don't mind a little extra work, using melted ABS is probably your best bet, you just need to chop up some scrap ABS into shavings (I used a big drill bit on some ABS and it made shavings very quickly), and then put them in some acetone. Play with the mixture until it comes out to your desired consistency. Make it in a squirt bottle, use it just like epoxy or whatever. This way, the entire work piece is made of ABS plastic so you shouldn't have problems with thermal expansion leading to cracks or separation like you can have with other materials.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

plastic weld works incredibly well, just be sure you throughly clean and rough up the surfaces that you are bonding.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Plastic weld. I dont buy the one thats shown above, Had bad luck, it was brittle, just sucked in general.

Had better luck with http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...te-651856.aspx

That brand. found in walmart/autozone/checkers/advanced auto parts
          Car : 00' Chrysler 300M
          Speakers : Rainbow Audio SLC 265 | Subs : Diamond Audio D6 12" Subs X2
          Amp's : Hifonics ZXi 6006 AB | Hifonics BXi 1606 D
          CarPC: HP Laptop AMD Sempron 3000+ | 1.5GB RAM | DVD+RW | 80GB 5400RPM HD | ATI R200 Video

Comment

I used PVC cement to get the screen case to stay while I was doing the epoxying. It was flexible, but it held it there.

Comment

For an easy quick version that will work decently well I used epoxy putty. It probably won't hold up under lots of stress but it worked fine to hold the screen bezel to the radio bezel so I could bondo around the outside.
              ~ Joel

Comment

You only need acetone, no need for other products or ABS chips.
                Just brush acetone on both pieces, join them and wait 5 minutes.
                You will find that your two pieces now are literally one piece.
                There is not anything stronger for abs plastic.

Comment

Right, assuming the parts that need to be glued are already a nice snug fit. Plastic welder and/or ABS sludge come in handy when you need to fill a gap though, as is so often the case in carPC-related fabrication.
                  But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                  Originally posted by Viscouse
                  I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                  eegeek.net

Comment

Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Duramix 4040 is what i used
                      screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

acetone? as in nail polish remover? do i just go out and buy nail polish remover or is there a place that sells acetone in a larger size?

Comment

home depot or lowes will sell it...over in the paint section.
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Where to get Burlwood,Titanium, ABS sheet?

Hi everyone, I need to vacuum form some parts in ABS with the Burlwood and titanium finishes. I have looked high and low for sheets of ABS with these finishes with out luck. I have seen just about any product you can imagine made from it but can't find a supplier. Does anyone have any info that could help?

Thanks
                            Dar

Comment

Looking for a bit of help here too. I have seen some people hot glue a screen in place. I was looking for a better option.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...8&d=1169355408

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...7&d=1169355399

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...0&d=1169355475

Here is the screen in the bezel.

Would the plastic weld work for adding mounting tabs to the bezel? I hope to do that so I can take it out for replacement if I want and not have to buy another expensive bezel and risk the melting of hot glue on a hot day.

Thanks for the help and advice as always.
                              Mike M
                              2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

Working...
                              X