Any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas?

So far here is my design for the carputer case.

The board itself is just under 4"x6" and the hard drive is being mounted underneath. I haven't pictured a fan yet, but there will be one.

I plan on making the case out of Lexan (Polycarbonate sheet)

Any feedback?

Thanks
    Attached Files

is there going to be a top to the case?
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

I made mine from Lexan. Came out great. I was concerned about heat since this enclosure is under my passenger seat but it runs very cool. Mine is a uATX though which is much larger than what you have going on. My system has 2 x 2.5 HDDs. I have one mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure and one along the side. In the case, I also have a half height 9250 AGP video card and a SATA controller since my board has no onboard controller.

I went by a local plastic shop and asked then if they had any scrap and they gave me a 2' x 4' sheet for free. It isnt expensive to begin with but I would check it out. Also, get the cement that is recommended for Polycarbonate to Polycarbonate, it works wonderfully! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyd_tx View Post
        I made mine from Lexan. Came out great. I was concerned about heat since this enclosure is under my passenger seat but it runs very cool. Mine is a uATX though which is much larger than what you have going on. My system has 2 x 2.5 HDDs. I have one mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure and one along the side. In the case, I also have a half height 9250 AGP video card and a SATA controller since my board has no onboard controller.

I went by a local plastic shop and asked then if they had any scrap and they gave me a 2' x 4' sheet for free. It isnt expensive to begin with but I would check it out. Also, get the cement that is recommended for Polycarbonate to Polycarbonate, it works wonderfully! Good luck.

Yeh, I don't think heat will be a problem once I get a little fan in there. Space is really tight as it is a powered passenger seat, but this should fit within a couple of mm.

I picked up the polycarbonate sheet already, but I wonder if it would be better to have the local plastic shop cut it for me than to do it with my jigsaw.

Yes it will have a top, I haven't added that to the drawing yet

Comment

For cutting plastic I prefer laser cutting. Some shops can do it for you really cheaply. It is probably what the plastic shops use as well for smaller pieces.

just my $0.02
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Table saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade worked great for me! Very smooth cuts. I need to get some pics up.

Comment

Working...
            X