info on a track or pop-up hidden type lcd screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on a track or pop-up hidden type lcd screen

Ok I'm searching but All I'm finding is those freaking in-dash fold out screen, I'm looking for info on how to make a track or such for a motorized lcd screen to popup -out of my dash. Like cut a small slot on top of my dash create a cover panel. I can't find anything on how they design those tracks or what kind of motors they use and how they stop ect. Once again I'm trying to make a hidden type lcd screen. I need to know how to mount it vertically inside my dash and have motorized tracks or gear ect to make it raise and fall. Any ideals or links of other site would be greatly appreciated. I see these things all the time on unique whips and older shows like pimp my ride but I can't find any info all the indash flip out's keep bloating my searches. Thanks Guys.

motorized hidden lcd screen

subscribing to my own post

Comment

well it hasn't been done too much here because of the expense and skill required.

To do it, you will need some motor. Either a servo motor or stepper motor or linear actuator. All have their own pro's and cons, and some are easier to control than others.

You will also need some stopping system so that the motor doesn't just run all the time while stopped. That will burn out the drivers.

And rail system you could use cabinet rails or bearings or anything glide like.

Because of the lack of projects like this, it is all up to you.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'm trying to see if there is a site alot like this one where people have worklogs or examples and suggestions. I'm a Aviations electronics tech, and I built cars since I was 13, I'm more of a jack of all trades master of nothing though, I know enough to get started (or get in trouble) but need some kind of path and ideal to follow. Mainly on the track install side, or how they design a track and like you where saying toaster a stoping and reversing circuit I suppose.

Comment

I think this is like what you're trying to do..

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80360

Comment

Originally posted by mercfwd View Post
            subscribing to my own post
            You know....

Up at the top, you can click on Thread Tools (1) and then Subscribe Thread (2), preventing a post like this...
            Attached Files
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Check out a power window circuit for an idea of where to go.
              Make sure you look at the track style systems and not the "scissors" type. You could probably source a mechanism from the local scrap yard and adapt it to your use.

you're looking at a custom setup no matter how you go.
              Cheers

BJ

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                You know....

Up at the top, you can click on Thread Tools (1) and then Subscribe Thread (2), preventing a post like this...
                Some of us don't have those snazzy extra "Moderator" options though.

Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Well honeslty I've been reading post from you guys since augs of last year, so I'm still new to this sites subscription tools. However now I know thanks.

Yeah a window motor and stop switch was going to be my first thought. I hate it, I just moved to SC from MD and had to trash 4 window regulars switches and relays (had to make room alot of stuff from my parts sales got trash makes me sick now that I think I had a good bit of what I'll have to go scavage for now.

Also the link sent via VFinterceptor was one that came up under searches (which I do use and is why I have such a low post count) but he has no update on any motorization yet. Clean install but I figure go that far might as well add in a motorized unit. that is however the same way I want it to raise and fall. same spot on my dash. I'm looking forward to learning and completely customizing it my self, I'll make a work log as soon as I have more pics then the starting dash and what little components I have now.

Comment

You could just buy a motorized screen and have it come up out of the dash instead of out and flip up

Cheers

BJ

Comment

Nah I'm workin with what I have, so buying a 400 dollar radio with screen is out of my comfort zone. I know this isn't cheap but I'd slowly buy parts and built it myself before dumping alot of cash at once on something I'm not to fund of, plus honeslty I don't like the flip screens (small car it would hit the gear shifter) 92 honda prelude. I like the ideal of a screen riasing out of the dash

Comment

the "stop switch" you're thinking about is a thermal circuit breaker. when the motor meets mechanical resistance it starts to draw more current, thus tripping the breaker. they are quick acting & self resetting. they use them in window motors, seat motors, & even your blinkers are controlled by one too.

how about using a momentary switch to a latching relay with a thermal breaker being used to "unlatch" the circuit. this should give you one touch open/close.

Comment

http://www.carmedia.org/forum2.php?n...ic=5338&page=6

and the following 2 pages

But in French...
                          Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

I was thinking about integrating a cd rom drive for this purpose. I would likely add some support though since I will I wouldn't want to break the tray when I'm using the touch screen.

Comment

I have seen a install like what you want except not in dash. I know this doesn't sound like it would work, but he got an old radio antenna and motor(the kind like in old cars that go up and down) and just mounted the whole unit under it. kinda sounds doable if you could hook up one of those thermal circuit breaker things that dieselray was talking about. I don't know, hope I inspired some ideas though.

Comment

Working...
                              X