No announcement yet.

Custom Case for Mini-ITX PC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Case for Mini-ITX PC

I am new to carputers, and i am in the process of setting up my car computer...

I have a Mini-ITX Mobo (Via M10000), 120Gb 2.5" drive, a laptop CD-Rom (which i plan to replace with a laptop slot load dvd-rom or dvd-rw), M1-ATX
    I also have a PCI right angle Riser card that takes 2 PCI cards... I am tossing up whether to get a "decent" sound card (which i am not sure what to get yet) and whether i got for a PCI WiFi card or just a USB WiFi Dongle...

Anyway to get to the point... Now I am considering building a custom case to go under my seat (yes I have read the FAQ about not putting the case under the seat, but in my case i feel its the best place). I am wonder whether to build it out of MDF or metal (aluminium or stainless steel). I am thinking that MDF is probably the best option as i already have the tools required to work with it, and i have had a lot more experience with MDF (setting up my sub box and false floor in my boot) than metal (pretty much 0 experience). MDF is also cheaper...

Is there any reason not to build the case from MDF?

Has anyone got photos of any custom cases they have built that might be able to give me ideas for any good ways to build the case (other than just a straight retangular box)

veritas forge makes great custom metal cases for cheap. great cases.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the Store

yeah...he has a great design that i showed him...i think i have to pass on it because my design wont do the case justice.... you should talk to him about it.
      New System in progress:
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

.063" aluminum and you won't be sorry. Its all I use for fabricating cases. Lightweight, slimline, STRONG
        Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) -

I'm using fiberglass in the glovebox to mount my components.
          2003 Nissan Xterra Worklog

Total amount spent so far: $1196.64

You will probably spend AT LEAST 2x what you initially budget for your CarPC Project!

2003 Nissan Xterra - Modifications

Hey Birdie just how much room IS there under the seat of the mighty Corolla Seca Conquest? Are you going to have the room for an MDF case? I would have thought that even if you use 10mm MDF you're going to run out of room in a hurry.
            Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
            Serious error.
            All shortcuts have disappeared.
            Screen. Mind. Both are blank.