Mounting computer components to a MDF box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting computer components to a MDF box

Here's the MDF Box, it's not too large but big enough to fit a few components inside of it. It's basically replacing my center cubby in my car.

Any ideas on what I could use to mount possibly the motherboard, PSU and maybe other things that might fit in there? I plan on wrapping the box in some sort of material, preferably something that gives off little static. For mounting...is Velcro a logical solution?

Get some standoffs from a local computer shop.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Velcro is not a good way to mount electronics...

Standoffs or angle brackets are your best bet. They even make brackets specifically designed for mounting hard drives

Comment

i've used standoffs and aluminum spacers, both with great results. do it once and do it right... i'm still trying to learn that lesson though
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

or if you're cheap and lazy like me, you can take an old computer that you just have lying around, meaning to throw out, and just chop it up 'til you have the motherboard tray, screw that to the wood with the right standoff's on it, then screw your mother board on to that. You can even get the hard drive cage from there...

2006 Mazda 3
          Behringer DCX-2496
          JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
          JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis5587 View Post
            or if you're cheap and lazy like me, you can take an old computer that you just have lying around, meaning to throw out, and just chop it up 'til you have the motherboard tray, screw that to the wood with the right standoff's on it, then screw your mother board on to that. You can even get the hard drive cage from there...
            That is what I did... solid no flex surface for the MB.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions above. I've wrapped my box and just received some plastic standoffs today. I just have a few more questions. I'm going to put my motherboard, hard drive and possibly my power supply inside this box. Is it crazy to put so much in such a small area, especially with a 250W Opus.

Pictures for reference:

Just a few notes: I'm cutting out the back side of the MDF box to expose the motherboard connections. The box really won't be visible, it's basically just something to hold the components...hence the ****ty wrapping job

Comment

you way want to throw a fan in there too, just to keep everything nice and cool.

other than that it looks ok.
                1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                Pictures
                Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz View Post
                  you way want to throw a fan in there too, just to keep everything nice and cool.

other than that it looks ok.
                  Way ahead of you

Comment

Did you spraypaint fabric over it?
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

No I glued the fabric down. The glue came through the fabric while it was drying that's why it's shiny in some areas.

Comment

nice job so far though

Comment

Well it's all done just have to wire it on the bottom side and try and clean it up some also.

Rather happy with it

Comment

not bad at all

Yev
                            R. T. F. M

Comment

Working...
                            X