My first fibergassing experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first fibergassing experience

It's back out of the car now as I broke a wire on the keyboard putting it back together and I figured while I had it apart I'll try and fix the seam around the keyboard. Everytime it comes back though as I think the keyboard face flexes too much. Anyway I think it turned out damn good for a novice attempt. I learned a lot doing it and like every thing else you learn how you should of done it.
    Attached Files
    Car-mada-puter Epia MII12000, 40gig HD, 512mb ram, Morex 3688 case, M1-atx and XP Pro.

What a good job!!! And functional!

Comment

Very nice job!

Comment

Cool.
        Integrated and functional.
        Almost the perfect setup.
        Too bad my car won't fit a similar setup.

Good work!

Cheers

BJ

Comment

very nice
          Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

thats so hot. i love the idea. after a little while i imagine one copuld become very proficient at typing without looking. kinda like txting.

whats the screen? do you have pre-fiber glass pics of it? or a link for the part its self? what is it for?
            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8.../positions.gif

Comment

what screen. there is a touchpad right there.
              Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

OHHHHHH snap. ok
                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8.../positions.gif

Comment

That is some really nice work. Since the seam between the console and the keyboard keeps comming back, have thought about highlighting the joint rather than trying to hide it? Maybe if you grooved it a little like the two grooves at the bottom of the touch pad that would work?
                  Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
                  Serious error.
                  All shortcuts have disappeared.
                  Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Comment

For a first attempt that is DAMN awesome! I think you are right about the keyboard flex. If it flexes at all then its naturally going to crack...

Great stuff , keep the images coming on your next attempt to fix the seam.

Comment

3G Jester, pre-fiberglass pics

llajumpvid: i remeber when you were asking about this project. I'm thrilled that it turned out so well! You do good work! You mentioned fiberglass, but i'm curious what you used as a filler to blend the seams. I'm sure there is something out there a little more flexible and less prone to cracking. You may also look into supporting the keyboard from below with a piece of backstrap or something. That way some of that load can be delivered around and outside the seam rather than through it.

great job though, i'm mighty impressed.
                      Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                      Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                      Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

wow, great job man. looks great.
                        Are you 2x? Because I want to integrate you from 10 to 13!

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm pretty proud of it.

Gohybrid: I just used bondo gold over the fiberglass. Once I get the keys into the keyboard and the back on it is rigid. It's getting the keys phused in far enough that is where the probem occurs. I'll be more careful this time.

MrjamieR: That would be perfect....I'd probably go nuts though trying to get a perfect grove in it.

Here are a few of the transitional photos.
                          Attached Files
                          Car-mada-puter Epia MII12000, 40gig HD, 512mb ram, Morex 3688 case, M1-atx and XP Pro.

Comment

You certainly couldn't put a groove around the keyboard without a template to follow. (Not unless you are a 4th Dan Black belt Dremel master!) I was thinking more along the lines of using a template and a template following bit. (Do they make them that small?) I've used the router sized version and it makes life very easy indeed.
                            I'm looking forward to hearing what it's like to use in the car.
                            Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
                            Serious error.
                            All shortcuts have disappeared.
                            Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Comment

i have a 4th dan black belt in passive aggressive.
                              Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                              Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                              Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X