X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for for impala?

I have an 00 impala
    I am trying to put together some ideas for a carpc
    I dont want an all in one unit because from what ive seen there not as powerful as building one...? any ideas for screens? I want a good one...heres what my dash looks like

take out the stereo, fabricate a screen in its spot, the opening looks big enough, go for a 7"

2006 Mazda 3
    Behringer DCX-2496
    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

You may want to repost your second photo. It is very dark and it makes it difficult to pick up any details in the dash. BTW what size is the standard HU?
      Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
      Serious error.
      All shortcuts have disappeared.
      Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Comment

A 7" should be a pretty close fit in your factory stereo spot. GM tends to make their factory stereos just a little bit wider than standard DIN models so you may have to hack up an aftermarket stereo install kit to make it work with no gaps. Does your car have the police package by chance?
        -Jay

1997 Chevy S-10, ext. cab
        CarPC Progress: 75% - Functional, but not quite finished.
        Check out my progress.

Comment

Originally posted by PSYKO_Inc View Post
          Does your car have the police package by chance?
          That would make this car 1000X cooler, lol

2006 Mazda 3
          Behringer DCX-2496
          JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
          JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Grab the LCD enclosure that I bought. It's mint.
            Attached Files
            2003 Black Impala

Comment

Dwaine, I think you need to take another photo. This one is way out of focus.
              Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
              Serious error.
              All shortcuts have disappeared.
              Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wellbanks View Post
                I have an 00 impala
                I am trying to put together some ideas for a carpc
                I dont want an all in one unit because from what ive seen there not as powerful as building one...? any ideas for screens? I want a good one...heres what my dash looks like
                Here is the site for the GM LCD bezels

http://maptechenterprises.netfirms.c...s.php?album=11
                2003 Black Impala

Comment

dont forget about the factory HU controling the cars options. my friend has an impala of the same model. local audio guy says you have to buy some control box if you want to remove the HU. =(

Comment

i have an 01 impala, and i housed to screen inside of the pull out thing for the ash tray. i go to school in detroit so i wanted to screen to be hidden while not in use. i wish i had pictures. ill get some soon. anyways, i dremeled out the inside of the sliding part, and mounted the screen face up inside of it. the i cut the middle out around the screen, and put that part on a small hinge. that way you have like a flip down screen, that you can flip back up when you want, and it will look completely stock. its also really good for minimizing glare, because its lower with a little overhang. it is a little more work than i bezel i suppose. but more cool factor. it does look pretty good.

btw, do you know if there is a way to hook up audio to the stock hu? not to change the subject.

Comment

oh yeah. i asked around about replacing the hu, because i was going to just skip it entirely, and i heard the adapter harness for this radio is like 150 dollars. too much for me, but i guess youd have to decide. there is also a antenna adapter you need to buy, if i remember correctly.

Comment

Yeah, newer GM cars' head units can control the car's options like keyless entry, headlights staying on, etc....., but the headunit allows you to customize settings and doesn't actually control anything but the radio for your listening pleasures. You can actually reset oil change lights and tire pressure warnigns through the headunit, but they can also be reset another way that is specified in your owner' maunal.

Also, the 7" Lillput 629 model fits perfectly in there if you cut off the buttons. If you still want use of the remote, you can always extend the IR sensor that is on the button board.

Comment

My second attempt

Here are a few pics of my first attempt. I still have a lot work to do like covering with vinyl and building a better center console which was the first time i had ever dealt with fiberglass shouldn't have gotten in such a hurry now i have cracking and alignment problems. In my next attempt I am removing the HU all together. I had 60/40 seat to begin with, but I took the seat out and cut it down to bucket size. I will now to to reupholster when i get some time school is killing me.

Comment

That looks pretty good for your first try, compared to mine. My impala doesnt have the center console, it goes right to the floor with a slide out ash tray instead. so i didnt really have a whole lot of options when it comes to screen placement. Does any body know if there is a cheap way to get audio to the stock head unit? i looked at it and im pretty sure it has to be an adapter of some sort hopefully.

Comment

I too had the slide out ashtray and 60/40 seats but I took a dremel and cut the steel support bar that ran to the middle arm rest, and cut the foam with a hacksaw. I made the console out of fiberglass and finished with plasticote products. The remaining seat material is just tucked under until I attempt a reupholster.

I believe that there is an adapter that uses the cd changer or aux input, but it is not cheap. If you want to go super cheap you can always get an fm modulator, but your sound quality will suffer horribly. Or you could remove your hu all together and wire it directly into the factor amp. if it is like mine, it should be between the two 6X9 speakers in the trunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X