Going DIN crazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going DIN crazy

I have been having a serious dilemma as to where and how to position my touchscreen, as this is going to be the most obvious ppart of my CarPC set up. I got a metra kit and started fabbing it because I did not want to mess with my wood radio bezel. It cost about $60 to get one from the junk yard so Ithot it was more economical to get a metra kit.

now that problem is that after working with some fiberglass and putty, and nearly killing myself with this stuff I'm new to, I found out that the mod i did to the metra kit was wayt off. No problem, it's a learning process...that's my consolation.

Now before I actually go crazy with this stuff, I have included some pics of the radio trim and the eby- 701 lilliput I have.

Here is my dash...nothing extra-ordinary.

Here's one DIn problem. The outer (wooden frame is about right, but the inner one is a little smaller.

Here' my dash partially torn apart.

Here's the Metra kit
    Attached Files

metra kit
    Attached Files

Comment

lilli eby-701
      Attached Files

Comment

woodgrain radio trim.
        Does anyone know any way to match the woodgrain, if I mistakenly scratch the trim. Or if I end up having to sand some part of it. I wouldn't mind a method of totally changing the color to another woodgrain if necessary.
        Attached Files

Comment

closer look
          Attached Files

Comment

I tried fitting the lilli but it doesn't fit width-wise...lilli face is 19.5cm wide and radio opening is 19cm. I plan to file/sand the outer lilli shell to fit..hopefully it does.

But the height of the lilliput fits except I have got some space left to fill.. Lilli frame is 11.5cm in height and radio opening is 12cm.

THIS IS WHERE I NEED THE MOST HELP

Does anyone know the best way to fill the gap in the height.
            Attached Files

Comment

Any positive response/critcism will be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Sorry I could not include the metra kit fab...it's a mess.

Comment

I would use balsa wood or a bit of pp or abs plastic, glued in, putty over top. Woodgrain imitation can be home made but is very hard, buy another one if you want no scratch.
                Continued Worklog... Upgrades in progress:
                *15.4" WXGA LED backlight touchscreen upgrade
                *Custom fiberglass dash bezel

Comment

Fit

I finally got the screen to fit after working on it all night long.

Just the 0.5cm gap underneath is left to be filled.

Any other Ideas?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BiGGy View Post
                    I would use balsa wood or a bit of pp or abs plastic, glued in, putty over top. Woodgrain imitation can be home made but is very hard, buy another one if you want no scratch.
                    Thanx for your input Biggy

Comment

i would say your only option is to get a piece of abs plastic and fill the small gap below the screen as if you were adding it to the screen housing, not the wood surround. it will be nearly impossible to match the wood finish especially since it looks like it is actually plastic. build up the bottom portion of the lilliput housing so that it fits in the contours of the hole perfectly. fill till you like it and then all you have to do is match the black plastic color.
                      another option is to change the finish of the dash completely maybe to a black piano gloss finish, but that is another story

Comment

seem I gotta try the abs plastic thingy. My radio trim is more expensive than a lilli housing so I wouldn't mind experimenting with the lilli case.
                        I'm just happy that I was able to fit it that much afterspending money and time on fiberglassin to mod the metra kit.

Comment

Working...
                        X