Small linear actuators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small linear actuators

I've been searching for quite some time for a small linear actuator that is suitable to move and lift a small PSOne screen out of the dash. Ive worked up an option with a small motor and worm gear but it hangs. Just wondering if you had any suggestions for a linear actuator with about +/- 4-6 inches of throw and little to no torque needed. Everything I've found has torque up the gazoo and all i need to move is > 1/2 lb. (if that).
    Thanks Cabe

-Lost
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Rather than a worm gear, have you considered a captured nut with threaded rod through it? Connect the threaded rod to the motor via a piece of silicon tubing over the motor shaft and rod. The captured nut can be attached to the vertical side of the PS one case or, if possible in the center of the back of the base.

As long as you have it track smoothly, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to use limit switches to operate the motor.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Take a look at the slide mechanism of a cd-rom drive.
      OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
      Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
      Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
      BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
      M2-ATX Power Supply
      RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
      Windows XP SP3

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
        Rather than a worm gear, have you considered a captured nut with threaded rod through it? Connect the threaded rod to the motor via a piece of silicon tubing over the motor shaft and rod. The captured nut can be attached to the vertical side of the PS one case or, if possible in the center of the back of the base.

As long as you have it track smoothly, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to use limit switches to operate the motor.
        my workup works along that principal finding a motor in that case with enough torque and operating at 12v was my reason for not going that route.

Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
        Take a look at the slide mechanism of a cd-rom drive.
        for the slides yes it will work for the motor power to lift it... it is not strong enough even with an old cdrom drive...

I'm hoping actuators will be easier im getting a bit discouraged and am looking for the easierst solution at this point
        .______
        | '_ |__\___
        [(o)|___(o)] XB
        ._________
        | I__I I_I|_\__I
        [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

What you want is called a mini actuator from Select Products. They were bought out by AMP of America but they should still carry it.

http://shop.selectproducts.com/diy/printitem.asp?Source=CK&CartId={20EVERESTBC7FB3-BB2B-4880-8858-743329EBC3E3}&ic=ACT0004

I know the picture is small but if I get a chance later today I will get one out and take a picture of it for you. I have some laying around here somewhere. If you have never seen one its basically the rod, a seperate cable and the motor. It allows you tou mount the rod and motor seperately to save space and it will push a PS One all day long. If you search there site they sell this whole kit with switches and tracks.

http://shop.selectproducts.com/diy/customkititems.asp?CartId={F055CF3E-D0C8-45D9-8DCE-129F01A0EVEREST2755}&kc=ACTKIT1&eq=

Let me know if this helps.
          Google my name if you need to know who I am.

Comment

im also trying to move a 7" screen up and down a few inches..

maybe something like this? :

http://www.youtube.com/v/ULe6ZUL4a-Y

he made this with servos but i dont know the 1st thing about servos .. any help?

Comment

I build my own frequency generator and used a RC car servo for my license plate unit. It was quite simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriano View Post
                I build my own frequency generator and used a RC car servo for my license plate unit. It was quite simple.
                any detailed DIY ?

Comment

You don't need a frequency generator. You need something called a servo tester (which is a ready made frequency generator). Google it and you'll find them cheap. You buy two and wire them into a relay. Set one to the open position, one to the close position. Flip flop them using the relay.

Keep in mind that servos only hold their position if there is power applied to them. If it requires forces to keep the screen closed, when you turn the car off, it might not hold it.

A Fusion brain can be programmed to do the same thing but requires the computer to command it to do so. If the computer doesn't boot, you won't be able to command the servo.

Another option is an Arduino board. You can program this board for the open/closed positions and it will remember them even when it is powered down. Using an Arduino requires a small amount of programming knowledge as you write the program on a computer and upload it to the Arduino. Also, you'll have to do a little wiring of buttons and servos but it should be pretty basic stuff.

Summary:

1. Servo test is simplest, least elegant, still requires some electrical knowledge for wiring the relay
                  2. Fusion brain, will work but won't work when pc is off, I think the mdx software will help you program this, plus the FB does a whole lot more
                  3. Arduino is most elegant solution but requires some electrical knowledge and a small amount of programming.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

[blatant plug for new device]

you could also use a qube-- from what i understand it can also be programmed and controlled without computer needing to be on...
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      [blatant plug for new device]

you could also use a qube-- from what i understand it can also be programmed and controlled without computer needing to be on...
                      Link..?
                      OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                      Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                      Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                      BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                      M2-ATX Power Supply
                      RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                      Windows XP SP3

Comment

http://store.mp3car.com/Qube_USB_IO_..._p/com-114.htm
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"