Dell Notebook Power Supplies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Notebook Power Supplies

My CarPC is a Dell Inspiron 8500. I ordered a Dell Port Replicator for it that I plan to use in the vehicle, specifically to wire the Laptop Auto Power Module into (so I don't have to operate on the notebook itself).

I have two different power supplies; one is an AC Adaptor that puts out 90W. The other is an auto/air adaptor that puts out 65W. The auto/air adaptor powers the notebook itself OK and the notebook charges. I'm thinking though that it won't be enough for the port replicator and the notebook.

Given that I'm not 100% sure what my options are. I could grab a simple inverter, but that doesn't seem to be the ideal option. Can I wire up a Carnetix and connect the AC Adaptor to that?

Nope, its not going to work. The Carnetix output's Direct current which cannot drive a adapter that requires alternating current. I would take a look at kensington ac/dc auto air adapter. Its what i use personally and works great. Its a 120watt adapter and you can change the tip for any laptop.
    Voche list: Migel628, Bugbyte, Defiler, Kingsdude, über

Comment

Oh ok, gotcha. Can I ask what kind of a notebook you have? I've read somewhat conflicting things about third-party adapters on some Dell notebooks, specifically that they will power the notebook but not charge the battery. I'll do some more research on that as well. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Since the sales guys who work at our company seem to think I can magically power the laptops they bring me for repair, without the AC adapter, I went out and got a Targus AC90u to take care of the issue. So far I've had no problems powering and charging the wide gamut of Dell laptops we have. At 90watt the AC90u is a little on the low side for some of the larger laptops (my XPS Gen2 for example), but the equivalent 120watt version should work fine.

Having said that, I would still go the route of using a Carnetix P1900. You can configure it to ouput 19v DC which is dead on for what most laptops require, and it should supply more than enough amperage. You wouldn't use the AC adapter at all. All you would need to find would be a tip that matched the port on the back of your 8500.

By the way, you're correct that the 65w adapter wouldn't be enough for the laptop and port replicator combination. Dell ships the 90w to be used with the replicator and the 65w to be used when traveling sans replicator.
        "It's a blessing . . . and a curse."

Comment

I have a dell e1405 laptop for work which i use the kensington adapter. My carpc is a hp dv6233se using a kensington adapter as well.

Comment

Excellent. That all seems to be right on with what I'm finding. I contacted Kensington to see if the 120w adaptor plus the tip for the 8500 would power and charge it or simply power it, and they responded that it would do both, so I think that is the way I will go. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I ordered a Kensington 120W off ebay with the N19 tip for my Dell. The whole package cost me abotu $40, which is not bad at all (less than you'd pay for the OEM Auto/Air suppy). It arrived yesterday and does just what it is supposed to; powers the notebook and charges it. The port replicator should be here today, and my Xenarc 700IDT probably tomorrow... so I'll be installing soon.

Comment

good luck with ur project.

Comment

Working...
                X