But what about the heat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But what about the heat?

I've been looking over this site now for a little over a month now and I've been basically sitting in awe at some of the work done. Round of applause to everyone!

However, I've been slightly concerned with most trunk installs. I live in a horribly hot place, and I drive a black car. Two horrible combinations, but I know I'm not the only one. So I would like to know what most people do about the heat in their trunks? Or is this even something to be concerned with?

Reason I figure this, when i built my first computer install I bought all these bad-a computer parts and didn't concern myself much with cooling. So after about 30mins of running it started to over heat and become to "glitchy" to use... Has anyone else encountered this problem with their car-pc?

I was also wondering if anyone had thought about using Water cooling in their Car-PC? Maybe running the radiator to the underside of the car to get some cool wind and then running it back inside? Any thoughts on any of this would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

Here are some related threads (just on the off chance you haven't found them).
    FAQ article started by Bugbyte-good stuff
    Trunk cooling discussion-Some Peltier discussion
    Trunk scoops are wicked cool
    The most amusing Trunk cooling discussion I can remember reading
    It's been a while...

Comment

I live in Texas. I've been running a carPC for the past 3 years.

I've had to deal with 120 degree days (outside temperatures mind you).

I've never once had an issue with heat.

This is just another reason that using super high-end systems in the car isn't such a good idea.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

cold seems to be more of a concern with HDDs. Which reminds me; RedGTiVR6, have you installed that CF drive yet? http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83012
        It's been a while...

Comment

Nope - had to get the new PC installed for the new competion season first.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Did someone mention Heat?!?

Sorry but couldn't resist...
            Attached Files
            Alex
            Progress: 91% (Cosmetics) @ Stand Still...
            -------------------------------------------
            CarPC specs are BACK!! Edit yours today...

Comment

I was thinking of not running any fans and just making a trunk scoop like a venturi to pull the heat out like a carbaurator pulls air in. does anyone see a problem with this setup while were on the heat subject.

Comment

you probably want a good deal of airflow over the heat sink for the processor, this is what extracts heat from it... it will disapate heat much less efficently if just disapating to stagnant air & will eventually heat soak the air in the case... unless your running a really low load processor youy want at least one fan there...

airflow from outside the car can work but can also be tricky...

I did water cooled in my minivan, while it can be done & work well it's a bit extreme & far from necissary... I did it mainly for the silent aspect of it & truthfully, just because I wanted to.... it does work well & I think it's a great solution for me, but hard to really call necissary... on the other hand I wouldn't call it a waste either, & it has allowed me to achieve my goals with it in a practical straight forward, but extreme way...
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                  ... on the other hand I wouldn't call it a waste either, & it has allowed me to achieve my goals with it in a practical straight forward, but extreme way...

If I met a woman who could relate to that, I'd consider dating again. And Ladies, plase put you hairspray and lighters down, I know you exist, I just haven't met any of you, yet.
                  Sorry for the tangent.

I tried it with just a fan at first, and monitored the temps, and engineered solutions as needed. Then again I don't have a trunk.
                  It's been a while...

Comment

Working...
                  X