Just another idea...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another idea...

OK, just thinking here about the inverter->power supply system I've got setup here and how to do more with it. Well, I'm going to have an external computer plug in cord so I can run the computer without running the car, so what about hooking one of the non-used 12v lines out of the power supply to the positive terminal of the car battery? Then it would work like a trickle charger while I use the computer and have a nice strong battery when I go to start the car later. Also cool if you have a plug in parking space, leave the computer run as a security system and charge the battery at the same time.

Sounds good to me.

------------------
    AMD Duron 750, 128m RAM, 10gig WD, 12.1" TFT screen, SB Live! 5.1, custom plexiglass case
    TalonTemple.com
    AMD Duron 750, 128m RAM, 10gig WD, 12.1" TFT screen, SB Live! 5.1, custom plexiglass case
    TalonTemple.com

I'm pretty sure that would instantly kill your power supply. Make sure one of our engineers here replies before you do something like that.
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Dude the inverter is so inefficient, that 5 amps from the +12 won't be sufficient to make up for the loss that the inverter is placing on the battery.

I think the laws of thermodynamics come to mind.
      Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

Comment

whoops! I read you wrong! I musta skipped over the "external cord" thing.

Well, again, I doubt that all of 5Amps from the +12V will make a significant difference on the battery, not to mention that any car theif could just slice up the power cord
        Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

Comment

I know, but it will work right? That's all I'm looking for.

------------------
          TalonTemple.com
          TalonTemple.com

Comment

In Short, no.

The computer power supply is running @ 12V. Automotive battery chargers run @ 14V. They do this to prevent the current from the battery from flowing back through the charger. Which ever source has the higher voltage will determine the current direction. If your battery has a standing voltage of 12.000001 V then it will send current back through your computer power supply. I.E. VERY FRIGGING BAD.

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle"

------------------
            Monger
            ICQ-7207702
            Monger
            ICQ-7207702
            UPDATE: I moved farther north. Now its even too cold for the deer; only moose now

Comment

yeh also considering that most batteries (well mine does any way ) have a voltage of around 12.4 volts jsut sitting there, so no doubt you would have current going the wrong way.

------------------
              My plans and progress on my install http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/hornet

[This message has been edited by hornet (edited 03-23-2001).]
              http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
              Australian mp3car Portal
              mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
              mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
              -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Working...
              X