Epia CN10000 vs DirectX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epia CN10000 vs DirectX

Trying to run any 3D application on my CN10000 causes it to either freeze or reboot. Tried dxdiag and the DX7 test passes. For DX8 and DX9 it renders the first frame (cube) and then reboots.

Any suggestions ? If it works on your system, what are your driver versions?

The onboard video (S3 Unichrome) can't handle DX8, I'd guess.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

All VIA boards are Unichrome as far as I know. So does that mean graphic-wise all Epias are stuck in 2003 ?

Comment

I have CN13000 running DX-9 without problems.
        I have VGA driver version 16.94.44.37 (the one on via.com.tw) and BIOS version 1.07.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Thank you very much kftqq !

Can I have some more info on your system, please? WinXP SP2 ? What Hyperion driver did you install? Are you using BIOS default/optimized settings ? What are your AGP, aperture,etc. settings ?

Comment

Glad to be of help...

Standard XP Pro, SP2 using the optimised BIOS settings (I can't check the AGP settings right now, but I know for sure I haven't messed with them!)
            Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "Hyperion" driver...

Comment

Hyperion is Via's 4-in-1 mainboard driver. Did you use the one on the install CD or something more recent from the website?

Comment

Ah right.... I used the one on the website and it worked just fine. I'll run out the the car in a bit and double check all my driver versions for you, just to be sure

Comment

Thank you very much for checking all this !
                  I have installed WinXP 6 times now on this system and I want to make sure that it's definitely an isolated hardware issue before returning the board and trying to deal with warranty exclusions.

Comment

Cross,
                    I've checked all my driver versions for you...
                    VGA is 16-94-44-37
                    4in1 is 4.55v
                    BIOS is latest version (v1.07 off VIA site), on optimised defaults.

Have you tried not installing the VIA drivers and using the generic windows ones instead? If so will it run DX9? Casue if it doesn't then either, it's not a driver issue.

Comment

Have you tried not installing the VIA drivers and using the generic windows ones instead? If so will it run DX9? Casue if it doesn't then either, it's not a driver issue.
                      Well that wouldn't help since Microsoft's default VGA drivers don't do any DirectX anyway. MS abandoned software DX support back in the 90s.

Comment

Seems like I had invalid BIOS settings. Reflashing the BIOS and loading optimized settings fixed the problem. Driver versions do not seem to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross_ View Post
                          Well that wouldn't help since Microsoft's default VGA drivers don't do any DirectX anyway. MS abandoned software DX support back in the 90s.
                          I stand corrected Glad you got sorted out anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Cross_ View Post
                            Seems like I had invalid BIOS settings. Reflashing the BIOS and loading optimized settings fixed the problem. Driver versions do not seem to matter.
                            I think this is what was happening to me. I didn't reflash it, but I loaded optimized settings. I'll reflash it if it keeps happening again.

The bios splash and the Windows boot screen gets offset to the side like a couple characters to the left (cutoff) and that's when you know the BIOS is messing up stuff. Try to clear it before you mess with too much with Windows software drivers, otherwise, you'll just end up rebuilding Windows over and over again and not make a difference.
                            Ken

IS300 IBP manual

Comment

The only time I have seen the screen cut off is when I enabled the TV out in addition to CRT. With CRT only it's centered.

Comment

Working...
                              X