Extra USB Ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra USB Ports

I have the VIA M10000 so I have the extra USB and Firewire Headers on the motherboard. I need some more usb ports, it only has 2. I need 1 for touchscreen, wifi, bluetooth, radio, gps, and at least 1 free to mount a Hub in the glove box. So I need 6. I could do 2 more on each header, but would like 4 on each if that's possible. Any links would be greatly appreciated

Something simple would be, if some of the devises don't need power, would be an non powered USB hub. These are usually small and simple. Or you could just go with a powered hub because there is no way to just add ports without some sort of hardware.
    "Mess with the best, die like the rest."
    Work Log --> Old Car (Totaled)
    Work Log v2 --> New Car (Totaled)
    Work Log v3 --> GMC Suburban K2500 (Engine died)
    Work Log v4.5 --> 05 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

Comment

I know that, but I was looking for something like this:

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/605

Comment

Ah, I guess I didn't understand what you meant, I thought you were looking to put more ports on one or something like that.
        "Mess with the best, die like the rest."
        Work Log --> Old Car (Totaled)
        Work Log v2 --> New Car (Totaled)
        Work Log v3 --> GMC Suburban K2500 (Engine died)
        Work Log v4.5 --> 05 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

Comment

That's not going to be very secure in the car, not to mention, you have to look at clerance issues where those will be mounted to the board and with the cable space that will be needed too.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

You can only add as much ports as there are physically available on the mainboard without using hubs.

There is one header on the 10k afaik, and that header has 2 rows of 5 pins: 2 usb ports.

You can use the adapter in the link to make them available, but there are also versions with a small cable, so you can mount the ports somewhere convenient.

Good luck!
            List of front-ends/usefull apps
            XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

What would happen if I plugged one of those adapters into one of the 2 firewire headers?

Comment

Originally posted by mdlesk View Post
                What would happen if I plugged one of those adapters into one of the 2 firewire headers?
                You would have made your very own proprietary firewire connection using a USB jack.

The only thing that header adapter does is make the pins a jack. That is it. No circuitry at all. Just connect pin to pin. You could do the same thing by just soldering a usb jack to the header pins. Again, no circuitry.

So impossible without a hub chip. They are about $4 by themselves and then you must solder. Or you can buy the entire hub with a shiny plastic casing for about the same price.

Why are you opposed to a hub? is there some limitation on your design we should be made aware of?
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

They are passive components, just linking pins to connectors, so you'd have firewire using usb connectors.
                  Depending on the pinout, you could have burnt firewire ports when connecting the adapter to the mainboard and even burnt usb devices if you connect devices to the ports.

Conclusion: won't work

edit: damn you toaster, you're quick
                  List of front-ends/usefull apps
                  XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

I'm not opposed to a hub, it's just less mounting, i guess I will have to do 2 hubs though. Any links to some good powerless hubs?

Comment

Pci
                      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

I really didn't want to use my only PCI slot for that but I might not have a choice

Comment

Get a PCI riser that will turn one PCI slot into 2.

As for the non-powered hubs...just beware of what you are going to hook up to it. A non-powered hub also means that you will not have power for your USB devices if they get power from USB.
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                          X