No announcement yet.

Annoying problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying problem

Here is my little problem. I have an MP3 player in the trunk of my car. Now, my head unit does not have inputs so I spliced the output of the computer into the 4 speakers of the car. This works perfectly and I have seperate control of the volume with a keypad and optional Remote Control.

This worked fine for about 3 months. Now, I am going on a trip in 2 weeks and I think I may need to listen to the radio to get local news, weather, ect wherever I go. So, I ran a shielded $20 RCA cable to the back of the car from the pre-ous of the radio. This goes into the line-in of the computer.

The problem is that I here alternator whine through the speaker even when the radio is off. It only stops when I unplug the RCA Cable. The radio is also a bit distorted when I here it as well.

I tried moving the cable - same problem. I tried different ground, same problem.

I really DO NOT want to buy an FM Mod or a new HU but these look like the only options left.

Does anybody else have any ideas???

Thanks in advance,

from my experience the line in to a lot of sound cards will produce some noise.. but not alternator whine. You can get a alternator noise reducer or whatever you want to call them at most any place that sells car stereo stuff. I got mine at autozone. That will probably reduce that.. There is also a page around about taking out the noise filters? i think they are called on your power supply. I'd try my first option first. Other then that make sure everything is ground nicely to the same spot.
    '98 Explorer Sport (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done