• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen this?

Single Board Audio Computer

-Mike
    "As God as my witness...I thought turkey's could fly"

Well that's no fun!!!

It's probably a lot more reliable than a software based player though..

My friend is a DJ and he won't used an mp3 player for lack of a decent hardware player.. if I can set this up for him he may change his mind
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Well I'm a DJ too and I would never use that mp3 player because you can't change the speed of the mp3 so there is no real way of beat matching. There is a awesome system out there if you want to spin mp3s tho, its called Final Scratch . you connect the output of your turntables into something called a scratch amp which is connected to your computer. you use special time-code vinyl records that tell the computer at what speed to play the mp3s. the output of the computer audio goes right back into the mixer and you can't even tell you aren't playing real vinyl! Except of course you have thousands of records avilble to you within seconds.

anyway, check out a video of it here

a little off topic I know...
      sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

actually, there are a number of mp3 players that will allow you to beatmatch by speeding up/slowing down a track.
        -Nick

Comment

I don't really know anything about DJ stuff.. I just take his word for it.
          aka Kumaneko
          "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
          Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
          mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
          Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

MP3DUB- your right but it almost impossible to use those because you have to use your mouse for everything. Using turntables really gives you the most control. Plus you can scratch with this setup!

Comment

ok, i am about to go way off topic (which i tend to do anyway)

in terms of DJing with MP3s there are a few that have extrenal controls that make it similar to using a CD player (some of them let you scratch (the final scratch does make it easier and more interesting, it also sounds a lot closer to vinyl than many of the others)... But, i seriously doubt that it will gain serious popularity... There is another similar product that came out last year that does the same thing with just cds not all audio formats. But vinyl (actual vinyl) will probably always be the preferred medium of the mixologist, maybe for mobile djs or kids who want to play around or try mixing it may be ok, but for the djs who mix for clubs, concerts and cother large scale events, it probably won't be among the top choices (even though it may seem like a good option)

Comment

http://www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/ has had a single board MP3 player for a couple of years.
                Don't Click

Comment

You may be right about the acceptance, we will have to wait and see. I think one of the things about final scratch thats makes it easier to accept is the fact that the DJ still uses regular turntables and vinyl. One of the reasons why the cd decks haven't caught on as much because they just aren't as cool. People think they are cop-outs or something. Regular DJs look down on cd djs! but anyway I have played around with some pretty amazing cd turtables (the Pioneer cdj-1000s are awesome!) but I still think regular vinyl is cooler (this includes final scratch). There is something about manipulating a spinning object that directly affects the music.. even if it isn't DIRECTLY affecting the music.

Comment

This is a cool one too.

He carries everything for it.
                    Now this could easily fit a cars DIN.
                    No special power needed.

Runs off cars 12Volt and nothing else is needed if using a 2.5" hard disk...

http://www.pjrc.com/tech/mp3/

-Mario

Comment

Working...
                    X