Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little clearing up is in order...

Heres my question...

I have a distribution block, 1 to 3, with a 4 gauge in and 3 8 gauge outs. Now the block has spots for fuses (see bellow) and thats where my question is. One of the outs is going to the amp and the other to the computer. The third will not be used as of now. What size fuse should i use for the computer and amp?

another question i have:

Is this recommended? Running two power cables from the battery, one to the screen with an inline fuse and another to the back to a distribution block for the computer and amp?

Also, is there a basic wiring help guide somewhere? I have no idea how to connect wires, both audio and power, to other wires. I know for household wiring you use wire nuts which i know how to do but i doubt thats how it works in an automotive situation.

Pardon my ignorance guys
    '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:
    Design:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 100%
    Fabrication:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]100%
    Installation:[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] 80%

In trouble...

You need to know how much they draw (how many amps will they need)

A fuse is a relative thing. You need to match the fuse relative to what will be powered. No point in putting a 10a fuse on something that will draw 15a. It will blow straight away. Further you don't want a 50a fuse on something that draws 10a. If somethign shorts, the fuse might not even come close to burning out
    I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

From the battery on out you are going to want to use progressively smaller fuses. The idea is that you always want the fuse closest to the component to blow first, protecting the rest of your new electric circuit and also the existing circuits in the car. Each component should have a fuse locally (amplifiers usually have fuses on them). I do not know if the display that you have has a fuse on it as well. The wire you choose coming out of the distro block does not have to be 8 AWG. Granted, larger is safer, but there is weight, size, and cost to consider. You wouldn't need 8 AWG to power your computer's DC/DC power supply. Choose a wire that is safely large enough to pass the amount of current that your planned load requires. Fuse the 4 AWG no greater than 130 Amps, but not less than the sum of the maximum currents of all of your loads (multiplied by 1.25), and fuse it close to the battery. At the distro block, select a fuse for the amp that is no higher than your maximum current as specified in the amp's datasheet/ install manual.
      For your computer, use the maximum current specified for the power supply. If the power supply has fuses on it, you'd be safe to raise the distro fuse by 125%. The fuses at your battery and distro block should be, at a maximum, selected so that the wire's amperage rating is not exceeded.
      Only you can prevent car fires.

For connecting wires. Having the right tools is a good start. A good wire cutter (dykes) is a good start. For the heavy wires, I'd get a cable cutter so you dont wear out the dykes. There are a few types of wire strippers. I recommend not getting the cheap automotive kind. That's the minimum.

When stripping wires, strip only what will fit in the distro block or lug.
      Be careful not to nick the conductors.
      Search for automotive grade lugs/ terminal connectors.
      When crimping a wire into a lug, strip just enough so that when you insert the wire, about 1/8 inch shows on the terminal side, with no conductors exposed on the wire side. Similar rules can be followed for butt-connectors.
      When you crimp these connectors to the wires line the crimping tool (oops there's another one) up so that the bump side presses against the seam (look 'into' a butt connector if you don't understand what I mean by seam), and squeeze.

I probably answered mostly things you already knew, but if you could be more specific about what you want to know I can help more concisely.

To aid in your searching:
      Here's a good link for general wire selection. Good chart for maximum wire ampacities.
      Here's a link to a post I had with a couple more links on the subject.
      It's been a while...

Comment

thanks a lot NiSlo and h3rk! i really appreciate it!

h3rk, the biggest thing im completely clueless about is getting power to my computer. Well i shouldnt say mine, i dont have it yet. I will be getting this http://www.short-circuit.com/categories/carpc.html and i dont know how i would get an 8 gauge wire from the distribution block to that PSU. Most of the issues or questions ive had, ive had at least some idea of how it work but this im totally in the dark about!

edit: also, my amp is 240 Watts and 4 Channels. What other piece of info do i need to find out what fuse i should use?
        '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

25 AMP fuse to the amp. 15 amp fuse to the M2ATX on your futur puter (see this thread) .12 AWG on the puter and 4 AWG to the amp is overkill, you can go down to 10 AWG. Just make sure your amp will accept wire that fat. Put a smaller wire in the distro block for your puter, the clamp should screw in far enough to hold it and make good contact.
          It's been a while...

Comment

ok, thanks!

another question not about fuses.

When powering my lilliput, can i cut the power cable in front of the "buldge" regulator thing and connect it straight to the fused distribution block?
            '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by stangg172006 View Post
              ok, thanks!

When powering my lilliput, can i cut the power cable in front of the "buldge" regulator thing and connect it straight to the fused distribution block?
              bump
              '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

ok, thanks!

I don't have a lilliput (Xenarc here), but most of those "bulge" things are really a magnet designed to cut EMI. I suppose you could cut the wire, but I'm gonna assume it terminates in a cigarette lighter plug. Why not get a plug receptacle at Wally World for less than $5 - tuck it away hidden somewhere and then no need to cut a plug that you may someday wish was still there. I guess it all depends on how permanent and visible the install is - I did it my suggested way on my Xenarc, but then I had an easily accessible, yet hidden, place to mount the plug (also did the same thing for the Auto/Air DC/DC adapter for the laptop I'm using as a carputer).

Comment

Originally posted by lbridges View Post
                  I don't have a lilliput (Xenarc here), but most of those "bulge" things are really a magnet designed to cut EMI. I suppose you could cut the wire, but I'm gonna assume it terminates in a cigarette lighter plug. Why not get a plug receptacle at Wally World for less than $5 - tuck it away hidden somewhere and then no need to cut a plug that you may someday wish was still there. I guess it all depends on how permanent and visible the install is - I did it my suggested way on my Xenarc, but then I had an easily accessible, yet hidden, place to mount the plug (also did the same thing for the Auto/Air DC/DC adapter for the laptop I'm using as a carputer).
                  thanks for the response, im going for an OEM look so i need everything hardwired and hidden away. My question is if i can simply cut off the cig plug, trip the end and connect it to my distribution block? and if i can do that, does it have to be fused?
                  '08 VW Rabbit S 2.5

Carputer Progress:

In trouble...

Comment

thanks for the response, im going for an OEM look so i need everything hardwired and hidden away. My question is if i can simply cut off the cig plug, trip the end and connect it to my distribution block?
                    Yes.

and if i can do that, does it have to be fused?
                    Yes.
                    It's been a while...

Comment

I have my cigarette plug cut off before the bulge and then hardwired to a molex from my M2. That way it's regulated power as well as turns on/off with the computer. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X