12v Fans - Regulated or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v Fans - Regulated or Not?

Basically I want to mount 2 12v (0.14a) fans behind my screen to provide cooling, do these need a regulated 12v or can I just tap into anywhere?

I personally would probably just leave them, but I guess they would react badly to spikes.....

Sorry for unhelpfully comment :-P If people leave their monitors unregulated though, I'd think fans would be okay

Comment

Thats what im thinking, there isnt exactly alot in them to go wrong. I just dont want to run another load of cables to the boot lol

Comment

There is no need to run regulated power for the fans.
        More voltage (14+V???), it will spin faster, create more noise, more air and die faster too.
        Less voltage, well, just the opposite of that high voltage.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post
          There is no need to run regulated power for the fans.
          More voltage (14+V???), it will spin faster, create more noise....
          You don't think a 30v spike would kill a 12v fan?

Comment

Should a proper car electrical system even have 30V spikes? I think with a 30v spike, you would have worries other than a damaged fan.

Comment

I would not have any concerns about using car voltage to power a fan.

However, If your PS does not have the overhead for to power the fan, you have missed your mark for planning and will have other concerns
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I'm running a DSATX so the extra load isnt a concern, its just whether I can face ripping everything out again to run more wiring to the boot

Comment

Originally posted by J7MAN View Post
                  I'm running a DSATX so the extra load isnt a concern, its just whether I can face ripping everything out again to run more wiring to the boot
                  I understood your position, I was commenting for other readers
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                    Should a proper car electrical system even have 30V spikes? I think with a 30v spike, you would have worries other than a damaged fan.
                    Hehe, i'm pretty sure my car electrical system wouldn't now be considered proper but i'm sure your right

Comment

Working...
                    X