USB hub not gettting 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB hub not gettting 2.0

I ran a 16' usb active repeater cable (designed to carry power) to a basic usb hub in my dash. When I plug in my usb thumbdrive, Windows informs me that usb 2.0 isn't enabled. Do I need a powered hub to get 2.0 speeds at this distance?

no you shouldn't. But if it is a repeater cable, meaning a little box or buldge in the wire where it takes power and amplifies the USB signal, then that must be 2.0.

USB only goes as fast as the slowest link in the chain. So if that cable only supports 1.1, and everything else is 2.0, you only get 1.1.

Kind of a bummer. What cable do you have, and are you sure it is usb 2.0?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yes I'm sure it's usb 2.0, and it has that bulge. The hub is an el cheapo "free with rebate" thing I got a long time ago. Do hubs have to be designed for 2.0?

Yeah it's a bummer, my DVD drive reads realllly reeaaalllly slow.

Comment

Originally posted by crooper View Post
        Yes I'm sure it's usb 2.0, and it has that bulge. The hub is an el cheapo "free with rebate" thing I got a long time ago. Do hubs have to be designed for 2.0?

Yeah it's a bummer, my DVD drive reads realllly reeaaalllly slow.
        yes it must be designated as 2.0.

As I said, it only goes as fast as the slowest part. Your hub is slow, therefore the entire thing is slow.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Thanks, I'll find a faster one. I figured a hub was just a wire splitter.

Comment

Working...
          X