Silent CPU fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent CPU fan

I'm using the stock CPU heatsink and fan on my Socket A Athlon XP, and I can hear it even though the PC is in the trunk. Can you give me suggestion for an inexpensive quiet socket A/462 CPU cooler?

i have heard of these.
    they can get a little pricy
    i shall look for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 96CalibraYE View Post
      i shall look for you.
      Damn, you're nice to be doing someone else's research.
      While you're at it, I need to proce one-way moving trucks from Dallas to Birmingham, AL area. Woudl you do that for me, too?
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        Damn, you're nice to be doing someone else's research.
        While you're at it, I need to proce one-way moving trucks from Dallas to Birmingham, AL area. Woudl you do that for me, too?

Someone is being nice and that ain't good either?

GO Darque
        Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
        CLARION HX-D2
        CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
        CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
        CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Well I know that the dB ratings they give on Newegg isn't always accurate. I was thinking about getting a Zalman (like I have in my home PC) but they're huge and heavy, puts a strain on the motherboard, and with the bouncing that goes on in the car that might be bad.

I was just hoping that people with a socket A setup might tell me what they use (if they're happy with it). No need to do research for me.

Comment

IMHO you should worry less about the fan itself, and more about slowing it down. My mobo automatically controlls fan speed, so mine is inaudible in the car. If yours doesnt do this, you can always 5 or 7v mod it.

Comment

so youre telling me you're listening to your music so low that you can hear the CPU fan?

Comment

It's probably between songs.

I'm running into the same issue with the case fan on my PC.

It's extremely annoying, not to mention I get docked all kinds of points for it.

I'm looking for an extremely quiet one as well.
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Oh I can't hear anything when my music's on. Cell phone, sirens, my kids... (jk)

But sometimes the music is off. I just don't think I should hear it through my back seats. I'll see about changing the voltage. It's connected via the CPU fan plug on the mobo.

Comment

Look for SilenX fans. That's what I use, but they're not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by crooper View Post
                      Well I know that the dB ratings they give on Newegg isn't always accurate. I was thinking about getting a Zalman (like I have in my home PC) but they're huge and heavy, puts a strain on the motherboard, and with the bouncing that goes on in the car that might be bad.

I was just hoping that people with a socket A setup might tell me what they use (if they're happy with it). No need to do research for me.
                      yeah i have the am2 zalman cpu fan on my desktop. i definately would not want to put it in the car though. it is rather bulky, but it is fairly quiet compared to the stock fan.
                      Are you 2x? Because I want to integrate you from 10 to 13!

Comment

Working...
                      X