Help me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me

hey i finished builing my computer to go into my car and now im tyring to hoook it up to my tapedeck. the problem is that there is no aux in...... i tried putting the signal in thruy the antenna slot cause i dont know what the rest of that crap back there is.... so does anyone have any ideas...... ??
    werd to ya momma

could use a FM modulator or a tape deck adapter

Comment

i do have this thing on teh deck but im not sure what it is.
      its a circle with 9 holes in it and its about the size of an old keyboard slot, about the size of a penny..... what is this>
      werd to ya momma

Comment

I wonder if that would be a midi port... Then again, I'm a complete tard when it comes to this crap, so don't listen to me. Do a search on the forum, but it the most poplular methods of attacking this ever-looming question are the following: (For those who do not have an AUX input)

1) FM modulator- Plugs in between the car's antenna and the HU. There are some that are wireless, ask zootjeff about them.

2) Tape deck adapter- Just like the one that you use with your walkman, just an adapter that looks like a tape with a wire hanging out of it.

3) Splicing directly into the wiring harness. Gutter swears by this, check out his webpage.

Correct me if I left anything out of this.

Comment

ok

whatever that thing with 9 holes was, it killed my tapedeck when i took out the plug....... would direct splicing provide enough power for my speakers?
          werd to ya momma

Comment

No- You have to have an amp somewhere along the way. If you don't have an amp, you'll have to use one of the other solutions.

Comment

Ok, someone with stereo experience better step in here quick before you destroy your head unit.

That "keyboard style plug" on the back of your head unit is what we call a DIN connector. While MIDI does indeed use 9 pin DIN connectors, that's not what this is.

The DIN connector there is more than likely for stereo add on's like a CD changer, or as your said, a tape deck. What you haven't told us is what kind of stereo (brand, etc) you have. If you don't know, it's probably stock. I'm assuming based on what happend to the tape deck when you unpluged the DIN that the cassette player is a seperate piece. You probably disconnected it when you unpluged the DIN.

Now there are a number of ways to do this setup, but based on your experience level I HIGHLY recommend you stick to a FM Modulator. The one in my link is a little on the expensive side if you ask me but I know it works, as others here are using them. Radio Shack used to sell them, but I've been told they were discontinued. A FM modulator will run in-line with your existing antenna. You will tune to a specific station (89.1 usually) and get the audio from the RCA inputs. This is the easiest solution to your problem.

Comment

you might be able to find a module that lets you plug in your computer to the changer input. Try asking at a car stereo shop.
                Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                Mods: Yep
                Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by Skippman
                  A FM modulator will run in-line with your existing antenna. You will tune to a specific station (89.1 usually) and get the audio from the RCA inputs. This is the easiest solution to your problem.
                  Good thing I'm not using an FM modulator since 89.1 is one of the only stations I listen too (local college station)
                  aka Kumaneko
                  "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                  Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                  mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                  Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

That "keyboard style plug" on the back of your head unit is what we call a DIN connector. While MIDI does indeed use 9 pin DIN connectors, that's not what this is.
                    Midi uses 5 pin DIN, not 9 pin:

http://www.philrees.co.uk/midiplug.htm

Rob
                    Old Systems retired due to new car
                    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Could have sworn my Kerswile used a 9 Pin DIN to connect to my Moog.

Maybe I'm getting them and XLR jacks confused. But I doubt it.

Comment

Could have sworn my Kerswile used a 9 Pin DIN to connect to my Moog.

Maybe I'm getting them and XLR jacks confused. But I doubt it.
                        Nup - XLR have three big pins (methinks ). I have NFI about midi, but I agree with you on the tape deck guess (based on precisely zero information on the brand of the deck)

C!
                        http://carpc.riposte.net
                        I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

My fault- it was a shot in the dark. I haven't ever seen a connector on a HU like that before.

Comment

No biggie. Pioneer used to use those connectors on a tapedeck/CD Changer set.

Comment

so it killed your tape deck..well...

that plug is an aux in for the tape deck. it is probably current sensing as to switch the radio to tape. you have left and right + and - i there. to use this you will have to find the power wire that draws the current from the radio and somehow trigger this so it will accept your computer.

or try this out:

http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-806

this switches between rca's
                              99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Working...
                              X